Ranger 518/evinrude 200

Long story short, I'm a pretty new bass boater and have a 2000 518SVX with 2003 Evinrude 200 on it. I currently have two rakers for it. A 24 and a 26. The guy I bought it from said that the 24 that is currently on it was the spare prop and his Son had beat up the 26...

The 24 is the only one that I have ran it with. I am getting about 57 MPH (GPS) at about 5600 rpm with FULL fuel, full livewells and medium tournament load and partner with a pretty heavy load. The holeshot seems fine. It seems to blow out when it levels down on plane after the holeshot. I need to get the fuel burnt down and see what it does with just me and half fuel probably.

I was wondering what the differences will be between them? I just picked up my 26 from croxton. He figured the 26 would be fine in cooler temps... After checking them both out, the 26 had been repaired like 4 times while the 24 is fresh. Which makes me think that the 26 is the better prop for that rig? I am trying to figure out which is my "Better performance" prop.

I don't want to blow my motor with a wrong sized prop or something, so I figured I would ask before I run the 26... Thank you!
    Last edited by J.Hendo; 08-20-2017 at 01:18 PM.

2. Member
    You won't blow your engine unless the prop is letting the engine rev way too much,doesn't sound like that is the case.I think the 26 is too much prop,it'll turn less than the 24 does. On my 2000 518,the best prop I have ran is a Tempest+ 25 set at 2.75 under.If you run a heavy load you might need a Tempest+24. It will help to put on a 6" jack plate too. With a good set up you can get about another 10mph out of that boat.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it from said he had seen 71 gps with a light load and fuel. I'll try and run it this week.

4. Member
    Yeah,a 518/200 will do a little over 70 with a light load. Mine has before I added a power pole and way too much tackle.Now it's about 70 with just me and 67/68 loaded with two men.

5. Member
    Test the boat loaded the way your going to use it most of the time not loaded light. You dial it in loaded light and you'll spend the next two months on here trying to figure out why your boat won't run like it used to after you load it up and you'll get a hundred guys telling you a hundred different things to do to make it faster when it was never that fast when loaded down ready to fish.

6. Member
    Did you have the 24 repaired too or just the 26? That motor should turn a 24" raker closer to the limiter and at 5600 you should the getting more than 57 mph.

7. Member
    The 24 is next to be redone... I did find another issue with a fuel filter needing replaced due to primer bulb coming apart. Picked up all the parts today and should be back in business this evening. Will try and run it tomorrow, depending on weather. I'm sure that wasn't helping anything. Suppose that was holding me back a fair bit?

8. Member
    Yes some but you won't know how much until you run it.. While you changing the bulb cut a piece of the old gray fuel line off about 2" and split it length ways and see it the line is separating inside.

9. Member
    I cut off a few pieces at a few different locations and checked them and all looked great.

10. Member
    I got a couple short runs in today. It was 75° and choppy water. I got right at 60 MPH at 5500-5600 rpm with the raker 26. A little over 3/4 fuel, full gear load and two guys. I need to run the 24 now that my fuel issue seems better...

11. Member
    I also just went and measured my prop to pad and it's 4 3/8"...

12. Member
    If you don't have a jack plate that's as high as you can run it.