Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AR home defense ammo

Looking for recommendations? .223 or 5.56 but prefer 5.56. Hollow point would be nice but I can't seem to find around here.

At those ranges any difference in velocity between rounds loaded to .223 pressure as opposed to 5.56 pressures will be negligible. If I had to use one of those choices I'd go with something big and slow that has good, controlled expansion. But, for HD, I'd choose a high capacity 9mm pistol of a shot gun before I'd choose an AR.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Federal LE223T1 or LE223L(64 grain) or T223A. All good soft tip ammo that mushrooms really well and doesn't seem to over penetrate. Hollow points aren't as important on a rifle round compared to a hangun round. Sgammo.com has the best pricing and availability I've seen as well.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919proxp View Post
    Federal LE223T1 or LE223L(64 grain) or T223A. All good soft tip ammo that mushrooms really well and doesn't seem to over penetrate. Hollow points aren't as important on a rifle round compared to a hangun round. Sgammo.com has the best pricing and availability I've seen as well.
    The federal is what I've been looking for but can't find it. Guess I will have to order it. It's for an SBR I am building.
    Last edited by Bassakwards; 08-20-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Mka 1919 is my home defense with many other strategically placed items throughout the residence

6. Member
    Could you use some of the specialty.223 rounds made for coyote hunting?

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    federal has had a rebate for the 223,556 ammo!!

50 dollars off on 1K blocks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
    Could you use some of the specialty.223 rounds made for coyote hunting?
    I thought about that too.

9. Member
    I found some speer gold dot LE .223 64 gr soft point for $9.99 /20 with free shipping if you buy 10 boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I found some speer gold dot LE .223 64 gr soft point for $9.99 /20 with free shipping if you buy 10 boxes.
    Gold Dot 64gr is what I went with as well.

11. Banned
    Look at Hornady TAP ammo. It is exceptional when trying to take down a living target.

12. Member
    I don't consider an AR as a "home defense" weapon. Get you an 18" 870 or a good handgun. If you have ave an intruder at night and no light in an AR you'll be blindly shooting a small projectile in a confined space. A scattergun will scatter, a larger caliber handgun has a larger projectile plus most have light rails or grip lasers. Think about collateral damage if you miss you'll likely penetrate multiple walls, possibly hit a water or electrical line, pass through a wall into a child's bedroom, the list of cons far out ways the positives of a shotgun or handgun. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I don't consider an AR as a "home defense" weapon. Get you an 18" 870 or a good handgun. If you have ave an intruder at night and no light in an AR you'll be blindly shooting a small projectile in a confined space. A scattergun will scatter, a larger caliber handgun has a larger projectile plus most have light rails or grip lasers. Think about collateral damage if you miss you'll likely penetrate multiple walls, possibly hit a water or electrical line, pass through a wall into a child's bedroom, the list of cons far out ways the positives of a shotgun or handgun. Just sayin.
    +1. My HD gun is my old 870 with an 18" smooth-bore slug barrel full of 00-buck.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The idea that a shotshell scatters at home defense ranges is mistaken. Doesn't mean it isn't a good weapon for defense, just the reason is wrong. The advantage is that the number of pellets increases the odds of doing significant damage inside a body and disabling an attacker with a single shot. Shoot your gun at 15ft and see how far it spreads.

I have an AR and a 12 gauge with extended magazine. Kick my door in and you'll be facing the shotgun if I have the opportunity to grab it, and the .45 if I don't have time to get to it. If you and your friends show up, I might break out the pointy rounds and the AR to teach you to stay out of my yard. Or to make you stay there.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The idea that a shotshell scatters at home defense ranges is mistaken. Doesn't mean it isn't a good weapon for defense, just the reason is wrong.
    If an intruder makes it into my bedroom I'll take the scatter over the pointy round. I don't think my Doberman will let someone get that close but if so give me the shotgun. Hallway or larger room as well, the yard I want the AR.

Shotgun or handgun indoors. Shotgun or rifle outdoors.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post

Suggest you do some more research - A shot gun will have a 2 - 3 inch spread at true self defense range. A 45ACP out of a pistol will have more flash that a Good AR self defense round out of an AR with a standard flash hider. A shot gun with buck shot will go through more layers of dry wall than a HP 223 round

Here is a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GunTalkTV

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with a shot gun for HD. There are many tools that can do the job.

To the OP - Any Hornaday self defense round will do the job.
    Last edited by Bill2e; 09-02-2017 at 09:48 PM.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    +1. My HD gun is my old 870 with an 18" smooth-bore slug barrel full of 00-buck.
    Have you bought 00 buck lately? I'm finding it really hard to find, seems like no one makes it any more unless it's that cheap foreign stuff at some gun shows
    Last edited by rangerbobber; 09-03-2017 at 09:10 AM.

19. Member
    I just bough a 25 round box for 10 bucks at Wal Mart but it looks like it was made in Spain. They seem to have plenty around here.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    I just bough a 25 round box for 10 bucks at Wal Mart but it looks like it was made in Spain. They seem to have plenty around here.
    How many bb's do they have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast