eagle521

Blew another hub on my Ranger 2006 trailer

This is the third one in the last four years. The first one went in 2013, the second one in September of 2015, and this last one went last Thursday. After the first one went I changed all four of my cool hubs to a different cool hub, that doesn't have the plastic cap to see the level of oil. These have a rubber plug the comes off so you can see the oil level. Now they have a Vortex hub with grease. There must be a reason they keep changing this falled system. Now I am going to change all four again. I would like some feedback on the Vortex hub, I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem. Thanks in advance. eagle521

2. Member
    The Vortex hubs have been much more reliable on friends of mine trailers.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    I also went though an axle and 3 hubs. I went to Vortex 5 yeas ago and have had no problems They will be serviced this winter

4. Member
    Where are you located? I have one sitting on the self in my shop I went through a bunch and a axle. Ranger sent me a spare and Is not needed any more.

5. Member
    I've had vortex on my 2007 trailer for several years. Although I don't get to fish too much these days I haven't had any issues.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

6. Member
    I too switched from the oil bath hubs on my 2007 dual axle trailer that carries my Fisherman 619. My oil hubs served me well for about 7 years. I had an issue with a seal early on and then had two hubs blow out on the same trip 3 years ago. One blew out while fishing Leech Lake in Minnesota, luckily Ranger had one of their tournament trailers there for a walleye tournament. I limped over to their trailer and they took care of me. The other blew about less than 20 miles from my home and I noticed it after backing into my driveway. After that experience I called Ranger and ordered 4 Vortex hubs and haven't had a problem since then. I probably put 3 to 4 thousand miles on my trailer a year and do have them checked at least once a year at my local trailer shop besides looking at them myself before and during a trip.

7. eagle521
    Matawan N.J.

8. Member
    Went back to grease, they can have the oil baths!
    EB

9. Member
    my 04 oil bath hubs are supposed to be full to the brim
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    I went to vortex hubs on my single axle trailer 3years ago. So far so good.

11. Member
    I have a set of 4 vortex hubs off an 09 Ranger I can sell you. I recently swapped out my axles to the new UTP axles.

Quote Originally Posted by bill duffy View Post
    I went to vortex hubs on my single axle trailer 3years ago. So far so good.
    i changed over also, no issues yet.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!