Triton plane issue

18' with 150
    I am having trouble getting on plane with full livewell and two people in the boat. Someone has to sit up front in order to plane off. Will a jackplate solve this problem?

2. Member
    Something's wrong brother. I have a 189TRX with a 150FS and it planes just fine full of water and 2 280 lb bigguns in the seats.

3. Member
    Need more info. Motor, prop , rpm when coming out of the hole. With some props the hole shot can be tuned. Need around 3500 rpm on hole shot
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    Hard to say with such little info. Do you have plugs in the prop? Took my boat a while to plane out on its maiden voyage. I had no plugs in the prop then and was told if I put plugs in it would make it worse. But, I put medium plugs in all 3 holes and now it jumps right on top of the water with hardly any bow rise.

5. Member
    I have a merc 150 four stroke..plugs in
    21 p four bladed prop
    2012 18 explorer
    Last edited by bnick; 08-20-2017 at 09:58 AM.

6. Member
    Try removing one plug and then another until the rpm reaches 3500 on holeshot.
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

7. Member
    Four stroke should have all holes plugged. What 4 blade prop do you have? Put a 6" plate on it so you can adjust the prop to pad height properly.

8. Member
    Mercury trophy

9. Member
    Could it be the four stoke doesn't have enough power??

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnick View Post
    Mercury trophy
    Do you have the weed ring installed with that trophy?

Are your RPM's high for holeshot and feels like the prop is spinning real fast to get up on pad (blowout)?

11. Member
    No weed ring..
    Still have to check rpms next time out

12. Member
    A 150 four stroke that is running without a mechanical problem should get your boat up fine.

13. Member
    Then it could be my boat..maybe there is just not enough weight to counter balance the loaded back

14. Member
    In my opinion it's your prop, that is holeshot headach.

What is your wide open throttle RPM's? That 150 has to be turning that 21p to the limiter at WOT on an 18 foot boat.

Second with no weed ring on that Trophy, I bet your blowing out at holeshot.

I would get rid of that trophy and contact triton or ask others on here what there using.

With a 4stroke you don't need really need any venting of the prop (PVS) as they generate torque pretty much through the RPM range. 2strokes do not until upper RPM range , thus the reason for controlled ventilation (PVS) to get RPMs up into the powerband.

I believe a different prop and P2P adjustment will fix it.(as long as no engine problems)
    Last edited by moetorola; 08-24-2017 at 04:52 PM.

15. Member
    I had a trophy and without a weed ring/exhaust ring, my boat would hardly plane out. But had good top end rpm and speed but not what I thought it should be.
    Added exhaust ring and what a difference in holeshot, speed stayed the same.

Changed to a tempest plus and never looked back. Better holeshot and gained on the top end.
    Last edited by moetorola; 08-24-2017 at 04:52 PM.

16. Member
    It could be a prop like some have mentioned but has this been a resent development, meaning have you experienced this the whole time you've owned the boat or has this just started becoming a problem? I ask because I'm leaning toward a cylinder issue. Have you had your compression checked lately? I had a TR186 w/150xr6 that suddenly had this same problem and would still get up to 40-50mph on plane (instead of 60-62) with one cylinder down but struggled to get on plane. May be worth having checked to insure you aren't causing more damage. Ps. If it is compression, be prepared for a hefty bill.