Thread: Where to buy...

Where to buy...

I'm working on building a deck extension for the front deck of my nitro and wanted to use a thick piece of plastic. Thought of using a cutting board .75" thick and wanted to see if anyone else tackled a project similar to this? used wood for the last one but can't seem to stop the mildew....painted and carpeted it. Thanks

2. Member
    I'm not sure what you are trying to do but if you need something .75" thick I'd suggest King Starboard. It comes in several colors and thicknesses and you can buy pretty much just what you need from a number of vendors on Ebay.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

3. Member
    Thanks for the info Joe! I am looking for a piece of plastic to fill the void between the compartments where you step up onto the front deck....to give a little more standing room on the front deck. I have a nitro z7 sport fish and ski and need all the extra deck space I can get. I'm not sure if I need 3/4" as is not a big space...21" x 17" to be exact. I may be able to get away with 1/2"...not sure.

4. Member
    You can get a custom made piece cut here. https://www.boatoutfitters.com/

Jeff

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    I'm not sure what you are trying to do but if you need something .75" thick I'd suggest King Starboard. It comes in several colors and thicknesses and you can buy pretty much just what you need from a number of vendors on Ebay.
    ^^^This

I used King Starboard to elevate my trolling motor so it get water on it constantly. No issues what so ever. It is the same plastic that they use to make kayaks I believe. Like Joe said there are numerous color choices and thicknesses. Pricey to buy but perfect for your application in my opinion.

6. Member
    Find someone building houses with Azek trim, buy a piece from them.

7. Member
    If 3/4 thick PVC would do the job, Lowe's and HD both sell PVC boards.

8. Half Fast
    I used a 3/4" piece as a planing board on the bottom of my jackplate. The aluminum one I made interfered with my side imaging. It was definitely the ticket. Great stuff ... Like Specktackulure said, boatoutfitters.com made my piece. It's very easy to work with also. IMHO Youtube starboard and I bet you can find plenty of ideas.
    Fishing, A passion my wife allows me to pursue !!!

9. Member
    Mcmaster Carr carries many different types of plastic sheet stock including starboard.

10. Member
    When I first did my extension I did it with the lid being screwed down solid , just looking for more deck space. When I redid my carpet I made 2 storage compartments and used 1-1/4" Azek I had left over from a job. I carpeted both sides and it warped about 1/4" in 3 months. It's been over 2 years now and not warped any further. You should be fine if you're going to screw it down solid but if you want to use it for storage I would use Starboard.

High density plastics are quite heavy for their relative strength, compared to plywood. Especially for an unsupported structure like a deck extension. If you use plastic, you'd HAVE to reinforce the underside (you should be able to use 1/2" sheet, reinforce the underside with a piece of aluminum sq. tubing, or angle).
    Or, use 1/2" plywood with a reinforcement, or 3/4" free span - either of these should be sealed with epoxy resin and a layer of fiberglass cloth. This will ensure it is waterproof for decades. It will be lighter, and more rigid than the plastic too.

12. Member
    Awesome! Thanks for all the comments. I think i will go with the 3/4" plywood and make sure its properly sealed. Im pretty sure thats why the last one didnt hold up.

13. Member
    Restaurant supply stores will have the cutting boards too...usually cheap.

14. Member
    I was thinking of using a cutting board but all i can get my hands on locally is 1/2" and im not sure if it would be stronger enough. I have a area 21" x 17" that im filling in.

15. Member
    Not sure on the strength, but I've found something similar on Amaz/fleebay for 1/2 the price.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/san...CB18241WH.html

16. Member
    What you are looking for is Penski Board. Its a fiberglass composite that many boat builders have used. VERY light weight, strong, and holds screws like wood. Check to see if USComposites or their sister company still carries it.

17. Member
    In my opinion what ever you do you will have to put some sort of stiffener across the bottom surface. Look at say the largest compartment lid. They most likely have a piece of aluminum channel across it as a stiffener. Personally I would try and go with aluminum bent and welded just like they do the lids.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by western angler View Post
    In my opinion what ever you do you will have to put some sort of stiffener across the bottom surface. Look at say the largest compartment lid. They most likely have a piece of aluminum channel across it as a stiffener. Personally I would try and go with aluminum bent and welded just like they do the lids.
    This is what I did on my Coral fish n ski. Super lightweight and strong.
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.

19. Member
    I made a deck extension when I had my 288 Sport - it was quite stout, considering the space was pretty large. I think I used 2 pieces of 3/4" birch plywood that I had left over from making cornhole boards. I then sealed it with waterproofer and carpeted it. It worked fantastic - was the perfect thickness to match the surrounding lids. I did this maybe 6 or 7 years ago - and it was just like new when I sold it this spring.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

20. Member
    For all of the "NO WOOD" advertising on boats, Exterior grade plywood, properly sealed and cared for, holds up pretty darn well for lids, etc.

It may have been in the magazine "Wooden Boat" where someone said

" If God hadn't given us wood, we would have had to invent it"!