Livewell fills up with valve closed

Hello all,
    I've been researching here and on other forums on this matter of water in the livewell when valve (supposedly) closed. Read about the flapper may be bad, cable not actuating properly, etc.
    Read about plugging the hole at the transom or in the livewell. One picture shows at the bottom left side of seat a valve (little white labels) and as found on other side.
    An image of livewell control enclosed. Btw, it's an Ebbtide Dynatrak STE 194 (still in great shape).

Looking at my submitted pictures, at transom the ones with the screens are the intakes? I need to know as well what the other non screened ones are. I was planning on running a water hose into the livewell and see what comes out at other end. Same deal from transom and see where it goes. If you can let me know which one does what would help. (of course the middle is drain plug)

I don't think there's any leak per se in the boat (dry inside boat battery compartment except whats found in livewell). The water does drain when valve opened.
    I really don't keep the fishes (catch & release mainly and no tournament fishing).
    I do not want to lug around all that water in the livewell since i know it's affecting my holeshot to plane.
    Any help would be appreciated on what to look for in this situation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LunkerLord; 08-18-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added additional info

2. Member
    They look like the back of my boat .A Startos 201 Pro . I find was my drain vale on /off vale was stuck open /frozen .There for water would come in . Minds is TH Marine vales . Try moving the open and close lever and see if they are free ?

While boat is out of water at home ,get the water hose and run water in the wells and see if water comes out the back .
    And it can be a stuck cable also , disconnect the cable from the vale and see if they are free ?
    The 2 in the middle is the drain and the ones ,with the screens are the fill vales and pumps are hooked to .

3. Member
    If minds go bad again .Iam going to remove them and plum in some manual hand vales , as i dont fish TX and every blue moon i bring any fish home .

4. Member
    Thanks will give it a look at it. Been hot & muggy here and waiting for weather to cool down. Will keep you all advised.

Many just use a stopper in the live well to hold when filling and to stop water from coming into water level when not in use.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

6. Member
    Good ideal , minds has screen on they inside . Never tried to remove them . Stopper is a good ideal indeed .

7. Banned
    Go to a auto parts store and find a rubber plug kits (assorted sizes) plug the hole in the livewells leave the valve in the open position. That way all you have to do is reach in the livewell not the bilge area while on the water. And if you do keep fish all you have to do is turn on the pump to fill and can pull the plug after your on the trailer.

8. Member
    The flapper could be in the wrong position. I rebuilt my flow-rite valve a few years ago and this problem drove me nuts. I couldn't believe I did this .

Your valve is working correctly. Your getting water in through the pump in/ overflow when you come off plane or are in reverse. I also use plugs of various sizes to add to dry storage one musky season stats up. That and I'll fish till the lakes freeze and I don't want water in the lines then.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. Still not sure about this boat livewell. That is, my first boat was simple enough. Plug the bottom hole and keep well dry and turn pump on to fill. Then unplug to drain.

My current boat has three "holes" on each side for a total of six. I bought one inch drain plugs used on back of transom to plug hole.
    It will plug the top left hole & right hole on other side of partition. The ones at the bottom are smaller. Of course theres two other holes that have screens.

Im enclosing a picture showing what im writing about. If any of you can chime in and let me know what i need to know keeping water out, i would appreciate it. I wish i was out in a lake to see where its coming from. Haven't tried yet flushing with garden hose.
    Thanks for any info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    My flowrite valve does this, will be rebuilding it or replacing it this winter.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haveme1 View Post
    Many just use a stopper in the live well to hold when filling and to stop water from coming into water level when not in use.

This is what I do.
    Hi Mike.

13. Member
    Yes, plug up the hole. Are we talking about the one at the very bottom as seen in picture? Leave the other two alone?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    They look like the back of my boat .A Startos 201 Pro . I find was my drain vale on /off vale was stuck open /frozen .There for water would come in . Minds is TH Marine vales . Try moving the open and close lever and see if they are free ?

While boat is out of water at home ,get the water hose and run water in the wells and see if water comes out the back .
    And it can be a stuck cable also , disconnect the cable from the vale and see if they are free ?
    The 2 in the middle is the drain and the ones ,with the screens are the fill vales and pumps are hooked to .
    I forced water backwards in my drain and filled up the live well with the drain open. Then I checked the drain in the live well and found an old plastic worm. It was stuck in the valve.