TOO MUCH SET BACK?

When buying a new jack plate can you buy too much set back??? I see guys with 21 boats all the same brand and model with anything from 8 to 10 to even 12??? Can too much hurt?

2. Member
    From what I've read on here it can. Depends on the boat though!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    12" is about max on a 920 or 721. 10" on a 919 but a 921 could handle a 14"
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    To much set back on certain boats puts the motor behind the swell that forms as the boat travels through the water and is higher than the running pad. If you get behind the swell you end up running with the motor lower prop to pad which hurts performance.

5. Member
    Yes, you can. You are trying to balance the boat on the pad front to back. Too far back and you have to trim under for max speed, although that is rare.
    A bigger concern is if the transom is strong enough to handle a lot of setback. Many boat mfgrs won't warranty more than 6" setback.

6. Member
    I used to have a 190XLVEE made by Norris Craft. I had a 200hp XR6 and ran a 8" Jack Plate. I could get the boat to around 85-87 and then it would chine walk and I could never drive through it cause it scared to hoodity out of me lol. I remember trying a 10" JP and the boat wouldn't run over 80 and I couldn't get the nose down. So yeah it can hurt performance.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Yes, you can. You are trying to balance the boat on the pad front to back. Too far back and you have to trim under for max speed, although that is rare.
    A bigger concern is if the transom is strong enough to handle a lot of setback. Many boat mfgrs won't warranty more than 6" setback.
    Huge amount of stress on the transoms the more setback there is... Seen Bullets with up to 16 inches with added spacers. Crazy...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    Some boat's it good and some it will hurt it . Mercury Gen 2 lower unit they want for best ..minimum of 24 inches of setback
    Last edited by rchavis; 09-05-2017 at 08:14 PM.

9. Member
    With the Gen 2 lower that 24" is from the end of the pad not the transom. I only run an eight inch plate but my motor it is mounted 25 1/2" behind the end of the pad. One of the reasons they run different setbacks and longer set backs is because they think more set back means more speed but that doesn't always work.

10. Member
    You are correct from the pad ? The guys with the Storker run's a lot of set back .But there boat is lite and they porpoise a lot in slow speeds . They why they run foils and hole shot plates to combat this problem .
    But like said above some boats need a lot and some don't .

11. Member
    My hull plows the front end, needs lift. I have total of 14" setback. With a (finally) 100% healthy motor, made 2 passes over 80 the other day, 80.5 and 81.0. Every hull is different.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Some boat's it good and some it will hurt it . Mercury Gen 2 lower unit they want for best ..minimum of 24 inches of setback
    "minimum of 24" of set back", never heard of this!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    "minimum of 24" of set back", never heard of this!
    He's referring as measured from the end of the pad not the transom.