Question 225 Pro XS Oil System Help

I have a 2007 Mercury Pro XS 225 (1B389346). Last weekend I had the 4 beep alarm going off today while idling out of the boat ramp cove. I know this signifies water in fuel or low oil so I pulled the cowling off and noticed the onboard oil reservoir was only about 3/4 of the way full. I removed the cap while the boat was idling and the tank did not fill/overfill. I have read through the sticky thread at the top, but I guess I am looking for a little more detail as I will be going back up tonight to mess with the boat some more. Where should I start? I'm guessing I should remove the lid from the boat oil tank and check the pickup screen. Is there an "easy" way to verify the check valve is functioning properly?

If I were to add oil to the onboard tank to fill it back up manually and see if the alarm stops...would I be at risk of damaging my engine if the pressure in the system isn't right? It seems like it would be an issue, but it also seems like Mercury would have a fail safe if the motor isn't get the oil it needs other than one sensor in the tank.

2. Member
    Bad float in sensor, may need to replace onboard reservoir.

3. Member
    Check for a pressure leak at the Remote tank.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOMER View Post
    Bad float in sensor, may need to replace onboard reservoir.
    Would a bad float cause the tank to stop filling up properly?

5. Member
    Yes the magnet in sensor may have disengaged no longer working properly not letting the reservoir fill.
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 08-18-2017 at 01:10 PM.

6. Member
    The magnet/float and switch are the sensing system and has nothing to do with filling of the engine mounted reservoir. The engine reservoir is filled by pressurizing the remote tank via engine crankcase pressure. As mentioned check for air leaks on the boat mounted tank.

Quote Originally Posted by REW1984 View Post

7. Member
    No the "float" has nothing to do with the reservoir filling with oil.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOMER View Post
    Yes the magnet in sensor may have disengaged no longer working properly not letting the reservoir fill.
    This is NOT true.

9. Member
    Worked on the motor some last night...changed the check valve out to eliminate that as a cause, checked the pickup screen and it seems to be fine, and checked all the caps for tightness. Hooked it up on water hose and ran it for about 10 minutes with no alarm, but tank is still not filling. Last time I ran it on hose I did not get an alarm, but it started going off not long after I started boat once launched. Why would the alarm being going off in water, but not on the water hose?

10. Member
    Worked on the motor some last night...changed the check valve out to eliminate that as a cause, checked the pickup screen and it seems to be fine, and checked all the caps for tightness. Hooked it up on water hose and ran it for about 10 minutes with no alarm, but tank is still not filling. Last time I ran it on hose I did not get an alarm, but it started going off not long after I started boat once launched. Why would the alarm being going off in water, but not on the water hose?
    Maybe the alarm is for a additional fault......

Click on this>>>>"My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""

If the system is NOT leaking pressure, after testing, I would be inspecting the reeds.

Cracked, kinked or leaking hose on air side. If it was oil side, you'd have oil everywhere except for onboard tank. Had a buddy same thing. Replaced oil tank hoses. Problem fixed.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    Cracked, kinked or leaking hose on air side. If it was oil side, you'd have oil everywhere except for onboard tank. Had a buddy same thing. Replaced oil tank hoses. Problem fixed.
    I feel like your right. I just filled the onboard tank manually and went ahead and launched boat. I was able to run it for awhile and even had it up into the upper 60s without any alarm or roughness. Seems to me something is leaking or is obstructed on the air side that I just haven't found yet.

Redneck mechanic procedure. Make sure onboard tank has oil. Start engine on muffs. Remove AIR hose from remote tank. Cover hose with finger and see if you feel pressure. If no/little pressure, you have obstruction on air side.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    Another question. Any idea where he bought the replacement hoses or what exactly I need to look for?

Any Mercury dealer should have it in stock or can order. Don and Rhonda here can fix you up. Give you BBC discount. As far as what to look for, see my post 13. You can also inspect EVERY part of the hose. You may have to disassemble to be thorough. It may be kinked or it may be chafed by an incorrectly placed steel hose clamp in the rigging tube, etc.

Another question. Any idea where he bought the replacement hoses or what exactly I need to look for?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

16. Member
    Need a help with next steps. I run 2006 225 XS. First time out this year I set out across the lake, not checking the level of oil reservoir. About 10min into my trip, I hear the single beep with flashing oil indicator alarm. Sure enough, no oil. So, shut down the big motor and set back to the dock using my 4stroke kicker. Later in the evening, I dump in 1gal of Merc synthetic, per usual, and set back out the following day. She ran well for 10 min, but then the alarm sounded again with another oil aleart. This time I was close to the dock and not wanting to risk it, I headed back in to take a closer look. Less than 3min later, before I could get to the dock, the oil alarm cleared and the alarm stopped beeping. I trailered anyway and checked the reservoir to find my tank was overfilled (I'm estimating 8-10oz too much) with oil leakage around the mouth of my oil tank. Basically a comedy of error on my part. I'm not sure if I have leak in my fill hose or if the spillage was due to my overfilling. My inclination is to try running her again (conservatively) while closely monitoring the reservoir level and alarm. My hope is that this issue was due to an overfill and will resolve itself. I'm open to any other suggestions.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny2shoes View Post
    Need a help with next steps. I run 2006 225 XS. First time out this year I set out across the lake, not checking the level of oil reservoir. About 10min into my trip, I hear the single beep with flashing oil indicator alarm. Sure enough, no oil. So, shut down the big motor and set back to the dock using my 4stroke kicker. Later in the evening, I dump in 1gal of Merc synthetic, per usual, and set back out the following day. She ran well for 10 min, but then the alarm sounded again with another oil aleart. This time I was close to the dock and not wanting to risk it, I headed back in to take a closer look. Less than 3min later, before I could get to the dock, the oil alarm cleared and the alarm stopped beeping. I trailered anyway and checked the reservoir to find my tank was overfilled (I'm estimating 8-10oz too much) with oil leakage around the mouth of my oil tank. Basically a comedy of error on my part. I'm not sure if I have leak in my fill hose or if the spillage was due to my overfilling. My inclination is to try running her again (conservatively) while closely monitoring the reservoir level and alarm. My hope is that this issue was due to an overfill and will resolve itself. I'm open to any other suggestions.
    I see you are new.....Welcome.....Please read the announcement at the top of the forum page. Hi-jacking someone else thread is not permitted. You will have to start your own separate thread.