Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro893 View Post
    Alright guys, ive decided on the boat i want, just not sure what motor i want to put on it, my best deal is with a suzuki 150, i kind of would like a SHO which ups the price a little, but i also have always had a merc. My biggest question is tho, are the new 2 strokes better? My old XRI is grumpy on the first start of the day. I want a motor that firea right up when i hit the key with no dinking around. Whats my best option?
    Just traded my Merc 250 XS. Never failed to start. Great engine but I went with the Yamaha 200 SHO. Wanted 4 stroke technology. 25 hrs now. Satisfied so far turn the key it starts. Does not burn oil nor as some have said "make" oil. I think it is going to be a great engine. I have no desire to go back to 2 stroke technology. If Merc had made a 4 stroke in the same weight range for hp rating as Yamaha I would have bought it. That is one reason I did not buy Suzuki. In smaller engines where weight is not as much of an issue I can tell you the F series Yamaha is very good.

2. Member
    Probably75% of commercial saltwater fisherman run Yamaha. There is a reason

3. Banned
    Whichever outboard has the best service techs in your area... Remember you can always find a service tech in any area of the country that will work on a Mercury, Yamaha, or Evinrude... No so with a Suzuki, of Honda... Some say you won't need it but what happens if you drive 14hrs for vacation and the engine has problems and you can't find someone to work on it??? Dan

4. Member
    Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha ... in that order. As mentioned, dealer network is everything when it comes to Honda and Suzuki.
    The quality is undeniable, but that's irrelevant if you can't obtain any service/parts needed from a convenient location.
    Enjoy your new boat. Be sure to take good care of it. Do that and you'll be owning that tin and outboard combo for a long time.

I'm running the Merc 150 4 Stoke, I have just over 100 hours in the last 18 months. Other than 2 oil changes nothing else has been needed. Great hole shot, fuel economy over my XR6 is 3 times better, turn the key and off we go. I'll never go back to a 2 stroke, the new ones have gotten better over the years but 4 Stokes are the way to go.

Good luck with your decision
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

6. Member
    Read the motor forums on this site.
    Suzuki Motors

7. Member
    I have a 2004 F150 Yamaha 4stroke.....it starts and runs as if it were still 2004. Very quiet and smooth. On occasion, I forget it's even on and hit the key...lol.

The best running motor, by far, I've ever had on a boat.

For that boat I would go Suzuki... Very trouble free engine... Honda scares me for boat motors because I've seen so many of them tore apart on the back deck of bass boats....I own a 250 sho and much prefer that engine to anything else but if I was buying metal, is power with the Suzuki..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    For that boat I would go Suzuki... Very trouble free engine... Honda scares me for boat motors because I've seen so many of them tore apart on the back deck of bass boats....I own a 250 sho and much prefer that engine to anything else but if I was buying metal, is power with the Suzuki..
    Wow that's amazing. I've never seen a Honda outboard broke down. Though I did see one on a pontoon that my nephews rented go into limp mode every so often. Come to find out the marina that owned it serviced it and didn't put oil back in. Thing still ran 15 miles. I don't think an SHO is on par with durability like a Honda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12