Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What outboard and why?

Alright guys, ive decided on the boat i want, just not sure what motor i want to put on it, my best deal is with a suzuki 150, i kind of would like a SHO which ups the price a little, but i also have always had a merc. My biggest question is tho, are the new 2 strokes better? My old XRI is grumpy on the first start of the day. I want a motor that firea right up when i hit the key with no dinking around. Whats my best option?

2. Member
    Not that it will do you much good, but my 08 Merc 150 EFI starts first hit on the key.

3. Member
    What boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro893 View Post
    Alright guys, ive decided on the boat i want, just not sure what motor i want to put on it, my best deal is with a suzuki 150, i kind of would like a SHO which ups the price a little, but i also have always had a merc. My biggest question is tho, are the new 2 strokes better? My old XRI is grumpy on the first start of the day. I want a motor that firea right up when i hit the key with no dinking around. Whats my best option?
    All of the new EFI/DFI engines (2 strokes included) fire right up, even on a cold morning. You no longer have to fight with a grumpy carbed outboard on a cold morning haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    Im gonna get a Polarkraft TX 195. My merc Is a 94 and its fuel injected and is fussy. Thats what has made me wonder about the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro893 View Post
    Im gonna get a Polarkraft TX 195. My merc Is a 94 and its fuel injected and is fussy. Thats what has made me wonder about the new ones.
    There certainly could be some grumpy efi engines out there but all of the ones Ive dealt with (that were in good running order) fire right up.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    I would put that Suzuki on that Polarkraft in a heartbeat, assuming the dealer is close to you and can service it as well. It is a very reliable outboard. If I ever went aluminum, it would be rigged with a Suzuki or Yamaha F series.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Hard to beat that Mercury 150 4-stroke.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

9. Member
    I run a sho but that Suzuki is a nice engine. There's a ton of them around here

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Hard to beat that Mercury 150 4-stroke.
    So far mine has been rock solid.

11. Member
    Suzuki or Honda, depends on the servicing dealer

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    X2^^^^^. Neither one would scare me
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

13. Member
    It might just be my area but i just dont see many of them on bass boats, pontoons always have a honda or suzuki hanging off of them. I believe i have a dealer near me for every brand so im not to worried about that, i just want a reliable motor. Looks like i might be going with a suzuki.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    YES SIR, I would add Yamaha maybe not 100% as reliable as the Honda but very close and more performance. For sure no Mercury or Evinrude.

15. Member
    I'd go with the Yamaha SHO. Yamaha changed the 4 stroke game and to me, there isn't another 4 stroke out there that has the pure power and performance that the SHO does. I'm on my 3rd SHO (different boats) and I will never own another brand. I've yet to have a problem with them.

16. Member
    On the 150HP motors the Merc 4 stroke is a leader. They have great power and great reliability. Tons of commercial users with thousands of hours. I would buy this over any 150 including the ultra reliable f150 Yamaha.
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    I'd go with the Yamaha SHO. Yamaha changed the 4 stroke game and to me, there isn't another 4 stroke out there that has the pure power and performance that the SHO does. I'm on my 3rd SHO (different boats) and I will never own another brand. I've yet to have a problem with them.
    What was the most hours you put on a SHO?? Only asking because i'm buying new soon and i'm on the fence SHO vs HONDA.....

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I would put that Suzuki on that Polarkraft in a heartbeat, assuming the dealer is close to you and can service it as well. It is a very reliable outboard. If I ever went aluminum, it would be rigged with a Suzuki or Yamaha F series.
    I will second this. I had a Suzuki on my McKee craft and that thing was bullet prof. From the first day until I sold it seven years later it never had a single issue and started first time every time.

19. Member
    To me that's a no brainer on that boat. Get the Suzuki. Hell I'd probably go with the Suzuki even if it wasn't the best deal.

20. Member
    Hard to go wrong with a 4 stroke merc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast