Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's?

If my memory is correct, Stratos made a tunnel hull bass boat back in the 80's. Anyone remember the model name/number and production years?

I've got a neighbor looking for an old cheap tunnel hull bass boat and the only ones that come to my mind are the Stratos and Shadow.

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (Tim of VA)

yes they did...were an ok boat as long as you didnt get in any rough water

3. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar

I would call it more of a tunnel-V. I think it was called the VT Rocket, or maybe just Rocket. If memory serves me correctly, it was built around '86 '87, or '88. Of course, that was so long ago, I could be mixing-up different boats.

A truer tunnel was built in Texas. I think it was made by Laser Boats.

4. Member

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (BuzzB8)

it was called the stratos vt. very weird riding boat hard to get out of the hole and was not a very good riding hull. also had problems with hull cracking under the tunnels, almost bought one till I rode in it and went over it with a fine tooth comb , ran like he** from it after that

5. Member

6. Member

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (STILLSMOKEN)

Funny you ask that because I say one at Pickwick Lake this weekend. I went over and talked to the guy some. His was a '88 model. Said it was called a modified tunnel. It was really a cool looking boat. I have never seen one before. Just like the pictures in the link above but this one was red/silver. His came from Dyersburg, Tn.

7. Member

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (2ndCajun)

they also made a bass version of the same boat. there was one in anderson sc and well like I said I ran from it after a test ride and the porpousing, and looking at the huge cracks in the gel coat under the tunnels just did not want to take a chance on it

8. Member

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (lkhartwl)

Here is a new answer to an old question. Yes they did make them. I have an '86 180VT bass boat. It is red and gold. I have only seen one other that was a red and silver 1988. Mine came from Outhouse Marine in Jacksonville with a 2.5 Bridgeport. It is rated for 150HP. It is a bitch in rough water but early in the morning when it is slick, it rides like a Mercedes. I personally have had it up to 98 mph/gps but had about another 500 rpms to go. Fast enough for me! Never had a problem proposing unless the motor is trimmed up to high

I run a 30" Hoss chopper with a Bob's jack plate. It will get very squirrelly if you back off the throttle too quickly. I drop down to a 24" Hoss chopper if I take it out skiing. With the 24" it will dislocate your shoulders on a slalom ski. The hull has never had a single crack.

9. Member

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (monkster926)

i have a 1988 279v and on the transome it says tunnel v hull and it dont have no cracks in it and i think it does great in ruff water, i was out one day and the lake was ruff with 2ft waves and i put a blue stipe down the side of a triton im very happy with the boat.

10. Member

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (stratosv179)

Yep, think my kidneys are damaged fer good from riding many a days in one of the old "VT Rockets" on Santee Cooper with a big Rude back in the 80's

They were a hoot on slick water though.

11. Member

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (JohnM)

I bought one last spring. It rides rough in big choppy water, but fishes and runs great. The picture shows the tunnel hull. </a>[/IMG]

12. Member

Re: Did Stratos make a tunnel hull in the 80's? (StratosVTRocket)

Believe it or not, the tunnel bassboat is back....again. Cougar boats bought the old Shadow molds and are producing them again. I saw one at the Wichta Ks Boat Show this weekend (Ks Lottery is giving one away). The design is really showing its "age".

13. Member
    Greetings everyone! I own a 1988 Stratos VT 2000 Rocket Bass Boat. I'm looking to find parts or any information on it. Can anyone help?

14. Member
    1520351256005.jpg Just sold my '86 VT180 w/150

15. Member
    My 1985 Stratos VT Rocket VT 375 was among the first Tunnel Hulls and also designed and built by Earl Benz. My hull VIN actually starts with BNZ which I think is pretty cool too lol
    Anyway the boat is FAST.