Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Need help from my Tracker brothers badly!

Okay so I'm just gonna start this and admit I'm a dumb azz....there I said it. I wanted a ladder for my boat and I bought one and installed it last year and I honestly love where it's at. I am 300 pounds and I can get in and out of the boat with ease with this thing and where I placed it. I used sheet metal screws to install the thing, I think I used to big of ones and they didn't hold. The front set hold for the ladder closest to the camera is secure and works great. The back one not so much, none of the screws held. So I have wanted to put a bolt in that one to secure it good. However it's in an awful location for that. I've tried for months to figure out how to get that darn thing secure and was to embarrassed to ask on here. I've finally given up and I'm asking for help.....by the way the jb weld was a horrible idea and held for one trip now looks like poo. My latest thought is to cut a small hole on that edge that I have boxed in yellow in the picture so that I can either reach back there or atleast get some tools under there. Is this going to hurt anything to do that? It appears there maybe a hole in that back corner coming up from the bottom of the boat but I have no clue how to reach that at this point so this cutting idea is my latest "thought" but before I cut a hole no matter how small in my boat I wanted to see what you guys though? Please help. I seriously love this ladder and love the location and want it to work if possible.
    thanks in advance,
    travis

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    While I don't have any advice to help you, you've posted on the right forum. There are several highly skilled craftsmen on this forum and many Tracker owners so I expect some good advice to be posted before the end of the day. Good luck with your project.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

A guy on the general bass boats forum says he used these to mount his trolling motor where he could not get access underneath. Not sure if you have clearance under there though to let its swivel into place.

Last edited by Skeeterbait; 08-18-2017 at 08:31 AM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    While I don't have any advice to help you, you've posted on the right forum. There are several highly skilled craftsmen on this forum and many Tracker owners so I expect some good advice to be posted before the end of the day. Good luck with your project.
    they have helped me so much with this thing, I love this forum so I'm hoping for an answer from the fellas. I think cutting a smallish hole shouldn't hurt much but need some opinions from the boys no doubt.

That hole you speak of in the back corner under the carpet. You can't get to it. For all the foam in there. That is something I was going to post about when I re-foam my boat.

But it if I was to cut a hole. I would do a round one on top. Look at your light plug, on the other side. 2 things, you can get a light mount. I believe there less then $15.00, I got one last year. You can actually hook it up so you have two lights on the back. Or at least if you don't hook it up it just looks like it belongs there. Like the other side.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    That hole you speak of in the back corner under the carpet. You can't get to it. For all the foam in there. That is something I was going to post about when I re-foam my boat.

But it if I was to cut a hole. I would do a round one on top. Look at your light plug, on the other side. 2 things, you can get a light mount. I believe there less then $15.00, I got one last year. You can actually hook it up so you have two lights on the back. Or at least if you don't hook it up it just looks like it belongs there. Like the other side.
    Would the area be accessible if he removed the rear deck and cut out a little foam?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post

you know that is not a half bad dang idea right there. I'm going to consider that for sure!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Would the area be accessible if he removed the rear deck and cut out a little foam?
    I don't wanna go that far as removing the rear deck.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    A guy on the general bass boats forum says he used these to mount his trolling motor where he could not get access underneath. Not sure if you have clearance under there though to let its swivel into place.

those look awesome. would a regular toggle bolt work as good?

I do not think the regular spring loaded toggles will hold up to the stress and they use much smaller screws for the size hole you have to drill. These give a solid one piece backer and use a much larger bolt size.

These won't rust like the above mentioned types.

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Thread-Insert-4CUF8?breadcrumbCatId=10626&s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4CUD9_AS01?$smthumb$
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

If it was my boat, this is what I would do...
    First thing, I would try the bolts Skeeter recommended. That would be the cheapest and easiest solution if you like how it feels and works when you get through.

Second thing if I did not like the first solution since you are a big guy. I would buy some flat aluminum stock the width from the weld to the edge of the boat and a little wider than the width of the ladder supports. Maybe about 3\8 thick would be good. Next I would drill from the underside of the aluminum flat stock and bolt from the underside up through the aluminum ladder support. I don't know what they are called but they make a bolt with a head that looks a lot like a flat washer. They are used to bolt decking to pontoon boat beams and are stainless. The washer like head would be toward the boat aluminum and the nylock nut and washer would be on top. Next I would affix the aluminum flat sheet stock to the boat using some good self tapping screws through some holes drilled in the aluminum stock and something like marinetex adhesive between the boat and aluminum stock. It will be there permanently. You would never have to worry about it again. Basically you are just adding some aluminum sheet stock to beef up the area. The aluminum is only about .100 inch thick there as with most boats and 300 pounds is a lot of weight up and down.

The bolts are called elevator bolts...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PBA1D2...a-308421058771
    Last edited by Panama; 08-18-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    No , the deck on each side. Is all one piece of aluminum. Thick of it as a aluminum box. Two of them welded in on each side. The only hole is the storage containers on the front half. The hole we are talking about is where the top is slid under the corner brace. It s just the corner cut off at a 45% angle, about an inch. Because the corner weld would hold it out. Not letting the deck push back tight enough.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

14. Member
    I'm going to get some of those snaptoggle toggle bolts at Lowes at lunch. I'm positive it's my answer that I've been looking for, for almost a year of beating my head in the wall trying to figure it out. should of asked here a long time ago....now to get that ugly dang jb weld off....

15. Member
    Thanks for the help guys. After a year of trial and error and scratching my head etc i bought the snap toggle and had it secure as can be in an hour!! Im gonna use them when i buy a trolling motor next time too.

16. Member
    How close is the foam to the transom? Could a snap toggle work for mounting on the back of the transom for a ladder? I bought a ladder, but my son, a fabricator, and my BIL, an engineer, both said the alum wasn't going to hold the ladder with screws.

17. Member
    Did you void the hull warranty by drilling into it? I've been looking at those ladders but a lifetime warranty is a terrible thing to waste. I will probably take mine to the dealer and let them screw it on.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papajohn1964 View Post
    Did you void the hull warranty by drilling into it? I've been looking at those ladders but a lifetime warranty is a terrible thing to waste. I will probably take mine to the dealer and let them screw it on.
    No idea honestly. All i know is i had an all aboard ladder and could not get in the boat with it no matter how hard i tired. Bought this ladder for $40 and i can climb in with ease. I fish alone alot and in cold water alot and i want to make sure that my 6 year old girl gets daddy as long as possible so i put it where i could get back in. Its great for swimming also. Tell ya what i fell out of a Ranger Glass one time and i swear if my buddy wasnt there i wouldnt of made it back in. Scared the hell out of me. I know the motor ride trick but in the heat of the moment its not a very viable option in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by onrecess View Post
    How close is the foam to the transom? Could a snap toggle work for mounting on the back of the transom for a ladder? I bought a ladder, but my son, a fabricator, and my BIL, an engineer, both said the alum wasn't going to hold the ladder with screws.
    The foam fills the complete transom, from the splash well out, on each side. But if you drill the holes needed to mount the ladder. You can put a smaller size screwdriver in and push the foam out of the way. Enough to get the toggle too work.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

20. Member
    Man, Gatorglenn, you are always around with great advice! Thanks again! (My x7 prop is backordered until the at least 28th.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast