Z8 trolling motor?

My Z8 came with a minnkota maxxum 70 lb thrust, which is not quite enough for the boat(at slow speed )
    I was looking at the Minnkota ultrex 80 lb thrust , it's still 24 volt and I would not have to change my charging system, but my question is will going from 70lb to 80 lb actually make a difference or should I just bite the bullet and move to a bigger unit?

What slow speed? Shouldn't be any different than a 112 while moving the bot slowly??? If it's dead calm I would use power 3 with my 112, step on the button for 5-10 seconds, get momentum going then coast for a while... with a 70 I would use power 3.5-4 and do the exact same thing.

If your batteries last as long way you fish on a day. Then I say that you should stay with 24v system. If not get a 36. Also if you have enough top speed with your current setup no reason to go to 36.

What im saying is when the speeds are slow and the throttle is slow it wouldn't matter if you had a 72volt 224 # trolling motor set at 1.5 on the dial.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Basically what I'm saying is on up to 3 it don't hardly move the boat , then 3.5 is to fast

4. Member
    I know what you mean about the Maxxum 70. Had one on my Z7 and hated it. It was a 5 speed but anything 3 and under was too slow yet 4 and 5 were too fast. I ended up going with a variable speed unit afterwards. I'd say if you don't fish a lot of current or rough water then you could probably stay with a 24v. Personally I'd would go 36v.

5. Member
    The Nitro Z8 is a pretty big boat. The 80lb Ultrex will get the job done but will struggle a bit in a strong wind or current. Personally, I would opt for the 112lb thrust Ultrex (when you can find one)

Brian

6. Banned
    I had a 112 fortrex, while the extra power was nice if I wanted to skip part of a bank, it rarely was valuable. Where you will get more value is through a 36v system and the battery life you will gain. I have a 24v xi5 and am happy with it.

7. Member
    A friend of mine is running the 80 on an older 20 ft Charger. It moves the boat around just fine.

8. Member
    I've used the 80lb Fortrex and now Ultrex with no problems. I don't fish a lot in rivers or heavy current conditions but have in winds and no problem. If fishing in current a lot or often I would probably opt for the 112 or 36v system
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Thx for all the input , I very seldom fish rivers or current so I'll probably try the 80lb

10. Member
    Id really try to get out with somebody with one and test it and see.

I have a 112lb on my z8 and wouldnt consider going less. Like others said, its the 36v thats the nicest part.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

11. Member
    I run a 112 36v on a Z9 and I'd like to have a 150 but I do fish rivers with a lot of current.

12. Member
    I have an Ultrex 80 and it is plenty for the z8. I've only had it on a week and fished 3 times 2 tournaments and once figuring it out after install. I had an x5 80# before that. Get good batteries I have Duracell AGM 31 series and I don' think I'll have a problem. The most I've used the spot lock is probably 3 hours total last tournament. I wouldn't hesitate buying it. I can say it makes fishing so much nicer no worries to stay on a spot or re-tie or anything.
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

This might be a stupid question but I still need to ask , I just put a new three bank charger on last summer so if I go to a 36 V and obviosly I'll need to add a battery but my question is is there a such thing as adding an extra single charger or will I need to purchase ia 4 bank ?

I've been doing some research and looking at the motor guide xi5 with gps , does anyone have one or can compare motorguide and minnkota? Really interested in the spot lock/anchor on both .

I have ran a 80 and 101 terrova ipilot and link. There great tools. I have never found a worthy reason to complain about the spot lock drifting around. Lots of whiny ppl these days. In the need of trolling and hooking a 50" Muskie on wind blown rocks I can spot lock and fight the fish, unhook and pic without worrying about wrecking my boat. It's great.

Oh yeah and I have had a 3 bank charger and a 2 bank charger that was dual 5 amps. And we hooked both of the 5 amp leads to a single battery, that worked fine. Not positive you can do this with all battery's or just lead acid.

17. Member
    Just an FYI but a Ultrex foot pedal won't fit in the recess of a Z-8 without modifying the pedal tray.

With that said it is the best upgrade I have ever done on my boat. I can step down off the deck to change lures or net fish or retie and not worry about blowing off my spot. My wife loves it because she doesnt have to ever try to run the boat while I'm reting her line....and she can keep fishing while I'm re rigging.

I would go with the 36 volt. Just add another battery, get a single bank charger for your cranking battery and put the 3 bank on the trolling batteries.