Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepags View Post
    Well there goes that claim
    Partially yes but same owner since 1989. JM is still doing what most cant seem to.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    I was in a BP a few months ago and was looking at the Z21 on the showroom. I'm not looking to buy for I like my skeeter...I was just checking things out. I will say it was nice looking etc and their fit and finish has come a long way compared to early days. As I was leaning over in the boat I put my knee into the hull and could actually "flex" it. I heard fiberglass crunching noise on the inside. No thanks...they are cheaper for a reason!! Like most things in life you get what you pay for. Not bashing anyone's choice but not for me. Pounding on the water and trailering the boat alone probably cause premature damage. I would buy a used upper end boat before buying a new Nitro at same money without question
    I've never had that happen to my Nitro and believe me I have bumped into it more times than I will admit. Flexing of the hull????? Hard to believe that part but if so, by the time to trailor the boat home the only part you may have left is the hull hook dangling.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I've never had that happen to my Nitro and believe me I have bumped into it more times than I will admit. Flexing of the hull????? Hard to believe that part but if so, by the time to trailor the boat home the only part you may have left is the hull hook dangling.

Now that's funny!!

They are not bad boats, nor are they unsafe....they just are made with the cheapest materials that are available.

My last boat, a Nitro, was a tank! It has changed hands at least a half dozen times and is still a VERY dependable boat, al biet, an ugly scratched up slow, but dependable boat. The previous two owners and myself have been able to pay it forward on the boat....as in selling cheap to the next owner...lol. The thing has unimaginable hours on it. Costs on average around $300 a month to own (taking the sales price plus the endless buying of "Force by Mercury" parts to keep it going' and dividing it by the average length of time it is owned by each of us), so it is actually more expensive than buying a new boat. Hah.

Installing a trolling motor into the bow is an excercise in near suicide. Bloody thing to do with all the dry, poorly laid glass. You gotta pull the rub rail monthly and screw the boat back together from the 1ft "chop" that beats it loose.

Etc.

but, it's a boat, motor, and trailer for 2 grand. Can't complain too much.

....wish my Skeeter was only $2000!!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    It's not owned by the original owner. Alan Stinson's started Nitro, and sold it to JM.

Very few people remember the original Nitro's prior to BPS. They weren't out long before BPS snatched them up. Of course BPS was NO WHERE near the size they are now.

Thank goodness there have always been boats in every price range and I imagine there always will be.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Very few people remember the original Nitro's prior to BPS. They weren't out long before BPS snatched them up. Of course BPS was NO WHERE near the size they are now.

Thank goodness there have always been boats in every price range and I imagine there always will be.
    When did Nitro boats first come out and when did JM buy them?

6. Member
    The original Tracker fiberglass boats were built by Stratos.

7. Member
    Owning a Nitro just ain't cool. Liken it to pulling up into a field with a bunch of rednecks with their jacked up Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet diesels with twin 10" smoke stacks coming up from the bed of the truck and you are driving an old Ford Courier.

8. Member
    At the end of the the day who really cares if a 1996 Nitro was the best boat made? Or if they're as good as the top 3 manufacturers today? There is definitely a strong market for lesser grade EVERYTHING...hell Walmart has proved that. Not everyone can afford a $70K USD boat so good on Nitro for building a boat that appeals to that demographic. If the business model wasn't sound, they would have been gone years ago. Make no mistake, a company that is a sister business to Ranger has the technology and knows how to build a great boat..they purposely choose not to complete and thus offer an alternately priced option.

9. Member
    nothing really against them, except the console and seat height. Feels like you are sitting on top the boat and not in it.

Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    nothing really against them, except the console and seat height. Feels like you are sitting on top the boat and not in it.
    I hear that alot because most bass boats seats are lower. But after being in this seat position for many years it would suck to fall into some of these seats that sit so low.

I think it just takes a few weeks to get use to it.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jb357 View Post
    I hate Nitros because every one I see on the lake has an asshat behind the wheel.
    I looked at them several years ago when I was in the market. The seats were awful, I didn't like the storage layout, and it had wooden stringers. I had also heard of a few Nitro hulls getting water logged if you fished alot.
    My Ranger wasn't that much more expensive.
    Sounds of like the most Ranger owners I've run across
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

12. Member
    My first bass boat was a Tracker, back in 1984. The last two have been Skeeters. Having never owned one, I have nothing against a Nitro, and have indeed drooled over a couple at BPS. But I'm happy with my Skeeter and know how they work so why change?

That said, I've been thinking about getting an inshore boat for the TX gulf coast and have looked at a couple Mako skiffs. About a month ago I went out with my friend who had recently sold his Skeeter bass boat to buy a new Mako 19' skiff and he allowed as how his decision was a "big mistake." Apparently the Mako's top cap is separating from the hull, and the repair is going to involve sending the boat back to MO or wherever it came from.

"Whoever said 'the pen is mightier than the sword' has obviously never been stabbed."

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    When did Nitro boats first come out and when did JM buy them?
    I recall the pre-BPS Nitro. I believe they were built in Texas ( Longview maybe?) in the mid 80's. They were one of the first 19'+ hulls to hit the market.

14. Member
    I don't hate them, but no I wouldn't buy one given other options. I had one Nitro boat and indeed will be the last. Had gel cracking, and blisters as well as an issue with a transom going soft. I beefed up every component and re sealed everything imaginable on the back of that boat and every afternoon after a day on the water I had 4 inches of water in the hull. The ride I didn't mind and handling was decent but a lot of structural issues

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I owned a couple and would gladly run a new one tommorrow. Good boats.

So, no qualms about going back to being an asshat?
    Who controls John Gill?

16. Banned
    "Worship = War Ship Theory" Get into anything that gets to the 'Worship stage' and anything other than what is being worshipped, is a POS. "What I have is 'top shelf' You've got a handful of crap..."

Most have never even been in a Nitro let alone drive one..

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbass1 View Post
    Sounds of like the most Ranger owners I've run across
    Sounds like we've been fishin' on the same lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    "Worship = War Ship Theory" Get into anything that gets to the 'Worship stage' and anything other than what is being worshipped, is a POS. "What I have is 'top shelf' You've got a handful of crap..."

Most have never even been in a Nitro let alone drive one..
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

18. Member
    I've been at this for 40 years and have been in about every kind of boat there is. I.ve had 3 Nitros, a 901, Z-8, and presently own a Z20. Out of those 3 I've never had one single issue. They all rode good (no cup needed) were relatively fast for there size, and were good boats. I've owned other brands and will not put down any of them. Prior to purchasing my Z20, I told myself I was switching brands. Not because I was dissatisfied, I was just ready for something else. I tried out a TRX 21, Ranger 520c, Legend V20, and a FX 20. All were nice rides. But after trying all of them I could not justify spending 15--20 thousand more. I didn't see where they were that much better. Yes some things are not quite the quality of the others, but is it worth that much. That is for YOU to decide. By best friend has a Ranger and after he rode in my Z20, he said he might switch next time. He loves the ride of my boat. Others have said the same. They ride great. Most guys how bash Nitros have never had one or been in a newer one. Yes the old ones were Crap. But they've come a long way. That's my 2 cents.

Im just glad theres a boat for every budget. I want everybody to be able to afford a boat if they want one

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

20. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Were they worse before JM buying or after?
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast