Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    ride not the worst but close

Price too high "when you put options on Nitro's that are standard on most boats"

Fit and fish is very low grade for the price

Live wells last I knew used control valves that fail often

Can only run a Mercury

put it this way if Nitro isn't the worst bass boat what is?
    well said and i owned a new nitro. Cheaply made and underpowered and missing a lot of items. Looked at one at bass pro last year and it did not even have rod straps. Salesman said those were extra!

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebullet96 View Post
    KVD can choose any boat he wants , and he chooses a nitro! At least that's what they pay him to say!
    bs! I might fish out of a nitro too if it was new every year. Bet he was not happy few years ago when he was towed in at a California tourney cause new hull leaked big time and bp stopped selling the z9 until they fixed the problem

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    They hold their value quite well if you base your numbers off comparable numbers. Of course their resale number will be lower since you initially paid a significantly lower up front cost as compared to a more expensive brand. Do the math and you will see. Go look at a 5 year old nitro Z9 and compare it to one of the other brands 5 year old boat's selling price or NADA value.
    Like I said that may have changed but at one time like I said and am talking boats with the same initial cost. And that may have been do to the stigma attached to them. It's naturally going to be harder to sell anything if something has a bad reputation with it. Years ago I had i guy from Springfield Missouri tell me when JM wanted to get into the fiberglass boat building business he approached Ranger and they said he wanted to cut so many corners that Ranger wouldn't build it it. Was that true I don't know but them are the kind of stories that stick in your mind. And like they say perception is reality. Like what has been said on here buy what you like what you can afford and fish the shit out of it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    What do you have?
    I have owned and run many brands currently I own a Phoenix and I like it so much i'm replacing it with the exact same boat.

Ride is 2nd to none in a bird

Price when truly tournament rigged as in loaded to the gills "12inch graphs, 52inch 36v trolling, 10 foot blades, high amp 4 bank chargers" over $5,000 less and NITRO last time I priced one will not negotiate!!! In fact I also priced a Skeeter and it was less then the Nitro. Granted it was a "ZX" Skeeter but still more boat then a NITRO

Fit and finish, every latch even drain plug is stainless in my boat, not to mention it is the only bass boat I have owned that under the dash no wires are exposed because it is totally enclosed in fiberglass.

Live wells = No valves all separate pumps no valves to fail or bike cables to slip or break.

Choice of outboard

Bottom line you can buy WAY MORE boat for less $$$$$

5. Member
    Like the auto world, some buy Hondas while others buy bmw.
    2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

6. Member
    Just throwing this out there, but look at the volume of tackle BP sells and yet they are still higher then most so why would johnny give you a good value on the boat side of things? Most are going to say cause he buys such large volumes he can give you a deal. But wouldn't that also hold true on tackle.

7. Member
    If I want to buy a car or boat I go to a car or boat dealer. If I want to buy fishing, camping and similar items I go to Bass Pro.

8. Member
    The 1st nitro I fishing out of had terrible fit and finish and build quality. I seen newer ones, but never fished out of one and they seem decent, but lots of plastic and compartments were super hard to open...seemed like carpet was too thick.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

Some people just love to rag on anything that Johnny Morris is involved with. Nitro's are good boats and a value. Granted a lot of pros are sponsored by BPS and they run Nitro's. Do you really think they would run a boat that they didn't feel was adequate to do their jobs and livelihood?
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

10. Member
    Just like any brand discussed on here, if a guy has a motor breakdown, the trolling motor fails or hits a damn rock, the boat gets the blame. When I hear "He has had a lot of trouble with that boat" I ask for specifics and 9 out of 10 times it's got nothing to do with the boat.

11. Member
    I honestly believe that if Johnny put the nitro name on a ranger and said they had a new design people would bash it . All the talk about plastic components and such, you go buy a 70,000.00 dollar vehicle now and it's full of plastic.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbass1 View Post
    Some people just love to rag on anything that Johnny Morris is involved with. Nitro's are good boats and a value. Granted a lot of pros are sponsored by BPS and they run Nitro's. Do you really think they would run a boat that they didn't feel was adequate to do their jobs and livelihood?
    I will say this I fished with some guides in Texas and we got to talking boat brands and the one guide said am going to fish out of the boat I get the best deal on. He had a Tide Craft. I would pretty much say you could fish out of any boat made.

13. Member
    I hate Nitros because every one I see on the lake has an asshat behind the wheel.
    I looked at them several years ago when I was in the market. The seats were awful, I didn't like the storage layout, and it had wooden stringers. I had also heard of a few Nitro hulls getting water logged if you fished alot.
    My Ranger wasn't that much more expensive.

if you want a Nitro...buy a darn Nitro. Nothing wrong with that boat at all. Your buddy's bashing them probably read it on the cesspool of bashing that is the Internet. Pay them no mind...do your shopping amd appropriate research, and make up your own mind...the only person who has to love your boat...is you.

I fished out of one of the older Nitros as a co in a BASS open..back in the early 2000's. I thought that boat was pretty nice and rode well...and this was on Rayburn. Im sure they've improved even more since then.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb357 View Post
    I hate Nitros because every one I see on the lake has an asshat behind the wheel.

I can't believe KVD doesn't finish dead last in every tourney

16. Member
    I read a thing a long time ago it said never ask a boat owner if his boat is a good boat or not cause you will never get a straight answer. It said nobody wants to admit that they spent that kind of money and screwed up.

After owning my Nitro for 11 years my only regret is that I didn't buy a bigger one.
    Really not sure what I would have gained by getting a different brand as I saved a bunch of money and it has never let me down.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blll View Post
    12 years on my 188 Nitro Sport. No complaints at all. Used 4x per week last 4 years and it runs better with use. I guess I do have one complaint as the bilge area is almost impossible to get at. Newer models have an additional access hatch. Its a Ford/Chevy/Dodge but thats not all bad. If I was buying another Nitro, I would buy from a dealer rather than BP as options/upgrades are a pain through the factory. JMO
    Thank you, ya this would be threw a dealer

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by music man View Post
    I don't think everyone hates Nitro....they have sold quite a few
    Lol true!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsbylander View Post

I can't believe KVD doesn't finish dead last in every tourney

Make no mistake KVD only fishes out of that boat because they pay him a lot of cash. Even the worst boat can hold up when it is new every 8 months and has a service crew to work on it every night.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast