Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I don't think everyone hates Nitro....they have sold quite a few

2. Member
    When people say "fit and finish" are questionable on a Nitro, sometimes they are right. I recently looked at a brand new Z18 on the Bass Pro show room floor. I am blessed to have a wife addicted to smallies and we have owned 2 canoes and 7 other jon boats, aluminum bass boats and 2 fiberglass bass boats, which actually included one of the old Tracker 180 FS boats and a 20 foot ProCraft with a 200 Merc. That thing was fast and well built
    Anyway, we were looking at a few new boats in 2016. We test rode a Phoenix 618, and climbed all over a couple of Bass Cats and Tritons in the same basic size. What amazed me was some of the things that were done on the Nitro that you would not notice if you did not have a lot of boat experience.
    If you put 3 or 4 rods in the passenger running rack and tried to use the rubber rod strap you would quickly see the seat was built such that the rods had no way of matching up and being tied down. The strap was mounted about 1 inch from the gunnel and it hooked down on the rear deck ( behind the seat). The rod would have to run right thru the seat in order to be tied down! I could not believe anyone would make such a stupid mistake IF you ever used a bass boat! This was just one of the dumb things I saw on that boat. But I stopped looking fast. Pay special attention to the accessories that are included in "The Package". Often time the batteries are not big enough, the trolling motor needs to be upgraded and they do not offer credit for the one being upgraded. Double check the size of the on board battery charger. Many times these accessories cost a lot of money to upgrade. Electronics ios another thing that may cost a bunch when you add to or change the package. Detail out the boat exactly as you want it, have them price it and then compare to other brands.

So I will not insult the brand. I will suggest you take a long time and really go over the boat you might spend a bunch of money on. Go put rods in the storage, go tie them down for the passanger, try out everything and even go get a ride on one. If possible try and demo the one you want to buy.
    If all that checks out then go ahead and purchase it. I do have some friend that like their Nitros. When I spend my money it will be on a different brand. Assuming there is another brand to choose from!

3. Member
    I loved my 2012 Z-9 for the first 2 years. The ride was very similar to a Ranger 520 of the same year as my Nitro Z-9 and i fished and drove both of them a lot on KY Lake. Seemed after 2 years the boat started to age and didn't seem as sound as it once was. All the front compartment lids would not wok correctly. The rod and other big storage on the drivers side both bowed up about a inch in the stern of them and in a hard rain would leak lots of water on them. Two of the other ones the gas shocks broke free from the fiberglass and i had to repair. Told dealer of issues said wasn't anything they could do about it. I went thru 4 rear seals on the axles and wore tires on the inside of them so bad went thru 2 sets in 4 years. Always seemed to get a run around at dealership on stuff also and Tracker will not deal with a individual just the dealership. Every time I called i was told dealer would have to contact them. The trailer seals i had to go thru vortex hubs to get parts but that was actually pretty easy. As for they way it fished and drove it was great. i traded it it in and got a 2016 Z-520c Ranger it just seems to have a lot better parts and components than the Nitro and detail quality is also much greater. The resale value does drop quickly on them or at least that model it did. If i hadn't got a great deal on a left over boat last fall Id still be in it and fishing the hell out of her. It just comes down to really what you want to spend and particular you are on things.

4. Member
    Here we go again.....

Silly how a boat that's $10K~$!5K less up front ends up selling for less down the road, huh?

I can tell ya' the fish don't know the difference.

So it comes with Mercury power, OK, and that's a problem why? Oh, I get it... they're mass produced motors. Riiiiiiiiight

Anyone wanna' talk about the MASSIVE recall on the SHO's a couple years ago? Isn't that 'bug' power? Must mean the boat is junk if the motor(s) were. Naaahhh that couldn't be. But I can tell you it surely would be if it was a Nitro.

Nitro doesn't build the trailers, (or at least they didn't last I looked). Parts are parts are parts. Tie Down Engineering is responsible for the brakes, axles, and hubs. Of course there are MANY different options there. One piece, floaters, small, large, and more than one hub choice as well. Cheaper hubs = more problems. Mine has floaters and Vortex hubs and haven't been a problem yet, other than replacing the calipers. Actually the calipers worked, but the pads were getting pretty low. Had a couple cracked dust seals though on the pistons so rather than rebuild then I just replaced them. The girl that answers the phone here in Atlanta for Tie Down is AMAZING when it comes to these trailers. She doesn't have to be, but she is.

Anybody that's ever had a trailer knows that they need service, period. Start putting them under water every time you tow them, WITH hot hubs and it's a no brainer that you're going to accelerate whatever seal wear you might run across there. Just part of playing the game.

Just replaced the original tires last month, that have been on there since it was new in Jan 2012 with the new high $$$ Goodyears.

The ride....
    I can say I'd much rather be in a 16° dead rise hull than a 11° one. Might be a lil' slower.... I can live with it.
    But of course that's all up to if you want to run WOT and just absolutely, positively, must be first on scene at 74+ and happen to like the rougher ride. (Or at least any number of guys out there seem to think flatter = noisier, AND rougher from what I've seen.)

Want to talk about a boat that is more mass produced than Nitro? Look at the Ranger sales. There's a thread here showing sales the last 3 years. Nitro, just over 2000 units sold in 2016. Ranger, just over 3000 units sold. NOW who's "mass produced".

Now I'm not knocking Ranger. In fact I think they're awesome boats. I'd have bought one had I ran across one that fit my needs when I was looking. My half sister was one of the first female competitive fishermen (fisherwomen) back in the 70's~early 90's. She ran a Ranger. In fact.... it was the first time I'd been upwards of 60 in a boat, ANY boat. I screamed like a little girl for her to slow down! (Because I was sitting in the floor between the seats holding on for DEAR LIFE. And it was floating on the pad running a 225 MERCURY. Which btw was before they called it chine walk.)

I'm glad I'll end up with $35K in my Nitro after all upgrades are done (Lowrance, LED's, NightFishion, etc.) knowing that a Z21 would end up running TWICE that!

I'd buy whatever was out there that met my needs, at what I wanted to pay, when I was ready to pay it. Preferably CASH. Spend the rest on upgrades, tackle, whatever.

All I could say is look at what you like. Buy what you can, and use it.

Going into debt for a freaking bass boat for the next 10~15 years isn't exactly a fiscally sensible move.

Like I said above.... the fish don't know the difference!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

5. Member
    The reason I can't seriously consider a Nitro is the two dealers (BPS & independent) close to me I dont trust to take care of me after the sale and haven't heard great things about calling Nitro direct either. If I had a great dealer closer I would strongly consider them. No manufacturer is perfect but Bass Cat and my dealer have went above and beyond.

Nitro Boats maybe good, but Nitro Pills causes Head Aches

7. Member
    KVD can choose any boat he wants , and he chooses a nitro! At least that's what they pay him to say!
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

Once people get something stuck in their mind they can't get over it, good or bad. The fishing world is the worst at this. Nitro got a a bad rap years ago and most people won't let it go. I have a fishing partner that is the worlds worse at this, he lives in the past and doesn't realize that boats, rods, reels, baits, trucks, motors, etc..change over the years. Some products get better, some get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnkamp View Post
    When people say "fit and finish" are questionable on a Nitro, sometimes they are right. I recently looked at a brand new Z18 on the Bass Pro show room floor. I am blessed to have a wife addicted to smallies and we have owned 2 canoes and 7 other jon boats, aluminum bass boats and 2 fiberglass bass boats, which actually included one of the old Tracker 180 FS boats and a 20 foot ProCraft with a 200 Merc. That thing was fast and well built
    Anyway, we were looking at a few new boats in 2016. We test rode a Phoenix 618, and climbed all over a couple of Bass Cats and Tritons in the same basic size. What amazed me was some of the things that were done on the Nitro that you would not notice if you did not have a lot of boat experience.
    If you put 3 or 4 rods in the passenger running rack and tried to use the rubber rod strap you would quickly see the seat was built such that the rods had no way of matching up and being tied down. The strap was mounted about 1 inch from the gunnel and it hooked down on the rear deck ( behind the seat). The rod would have to run right thru the seat in order to be tied down! I could not believe anyone would make such a stupid mistake IF you ever used a bass boat! This was just one of the dumb things I saw on that boat. But I stopped looking fast. Pay special attention to the accessories that are included in "The Package". Often time the batteries are not big enough, the trolling motor needs to be upgraded and they do not offer credit for the one being upgraded. Double check the size of the on board battery charger. Many times these accessories cost a lot of money to upgrade. Electronics ios another thing that may cost a bunch when you add to or change the package. Detail out the boat exactly as you want it, have them price it and then compare to other brands.

So I will not insult the brand. I will suggest you take a long time and really go over the boat you might spend a bunch of money on. Go put rods in the storage, go tie them down for the passanger, try out everything and even go get a ride on one. If possible try and demo the one you want to buy.
    If all that checks out then go ahead and purchase it. I do have some friend that like their Nitros. When I spend my money it will be on a different brand. Assuming there is another brand to choose from!
    Batteries not big enough? My trolling batteries are supplied larger than the 2017 ranger 520/21 cup package....
    also some boats on the showroom are just rigged wrong at that dealer, like the rod strap, and dealers don't put time into nitros until they are good as sold since dealers have to trade with other dealers, why be out labor.
    I love my nitro and everything that I see in resale value is on par with other bass boats buy for less initiallly is worth the same "value" as one that initially cost more and is more expensive 2 years down the road.

others comment on ride? I have a 20' nitro and the ride is awesome. If it was "shit" compared to others you must be riding in a 1995 Buick leasabre on the interstate. Cant feel anything and is just hovering over the water.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    What year was your nitro? What year is the skeeter that replaced it?
    The Nitro was a 1999 hull the Skeeter is a 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Bfd!!! I can post links with guys complaining about every single brand made including basscat.

For the same reason some people say you can't fish out of an Allison -----or they ride rough and can't take big waves --- or they have "tater chip" hulls that won't last !!!

IMO the newer Nitro's are the best bang for your buck !

Why do people buy Chevrolets and Fords while there are Jaguars and Ferraris available?

Buy what you can afford and fills your needs.

15. Banned
    I'm happy with the ride in my 2012 Z8. It's not as flashy as a Legend, Phoenix, Ranger, but it gets me there, plus I could afford a much newer boat. I've had no issues with the boat, and I'm not a guy looking to blaze 70+.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerman View Post
    I have rode in a Z9, if you cherish your family jewels, where a cup !!!!!
    Unless you were doing the driving how do you know it was the boat and not the driver? I have ridden in one and it performed quite well!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    I always just looked at their resale value compared to comparable boats they just didn't hold their value like others did. Don't know if that holds true still today or not.
    They hold their value quite well if you base your numbers off comparable numbers. Of course their resale number will be lower since you initially paid a significantly lower up front cost as compared to a more expensive brand. Do the math and you will see. Go look at a 5 year old nitro Z9 and compare it to one of the other brands 5 year old boat's selling price or NADA value.

The new Z20 and Z21 are some great looking boats and IMO their best design yet. Every Nitro I've seen running on the lake appears to be running excellent and many times is hauling ass! With that said, I saw a Z9 at the Ramp and starting chatting with the guy. He loved the boat but his only complaint was the quality of the materials they use. His seats were showing signs of wear as well as some issues with lids and the assembly/rigging of the boat. The boat did everything he asked it to do and it did it well but he was disappointed he won't get the years out of it that he thought he would purchasing something New.

With all that being said I still like the looks and layout of the new Z20 and Z21. I think they did a great job on these boats and would serve anyone just fine for many years with proper care and maint. I would make sure the dealer I worked with is going to take care of me after the sale. Like anything new, there are going to be bugs that may need to be taken care of at the dealer. Customer service goes a long way and can make or break a new boat owner.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

19. Member
    The class of boat I was looking at for the last two purchases where very close in price. Nitro, Skeeter, Ranger and BassCat were in the running. There were/are no Skeeter or Cat dealers where I live unless I wanted to drive 200-300 miles to have them serviced or warrantied. The Skeeter was close but I could not get past the Yammie being on the transom. Have a couple friends here who have Yammies and they have a heck of a time getting parts or getting them fixed. The Bass Cat front deck was just a little too skinny for me. Now it came down to Nitro and Ranger. Being a person who remembers Nitro from the bad days it was hard to keep that in the back of my mind. Stacking up what options were/are available at the time the price was within a couple thousand dollars for the same equipment. Went with Ranger again and have not looked back. Now that Johnny M. owns Ranger.....................I tell all my friends it doesn't matter!

Seriously, they (Nitro) have seem to come a long way but the Ranger is the boat for me at the time I bought it.

Having read over this thread twice, I'm wondering if some of the hatred (strong word) for Nitro is not all about the boat. There seems to be among some folks, a giant
    hard-on of hate (or envy?) for JM and anything BPS. Buy what you want, from where you want that fits your needs and budget.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing it don't belong in a fruit salad.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast