Tilt/Trim on 2017' ProXS 115 CT

My 17' Ranger RT188 W/ a 115 ProXS CT with 20hrs has already had one tilt/trim unit replaced by my dealer due to it leaking down overnight when stored in my garage without transome saver mounted. Well the new unit they installed has already started leaking down letting the motor sit on the ground when I come out in the morning.

So I called my dealer to let them know I had another bad unit and they told me that Mercury says its normal for the engine to leak down up too 2.2" inches in 24hrs. Doesn't sound right to me, I've had other bass boats and they never leaked down unless the tilt/trim seal was bad or the manual screw was not closed all the way.

What do you guys think, is my dealer correct or is this BS.

Thanks for any help,

There arent many hydraulic systems that wont bleed down over time. I was always taught never to rely on the hydraulics like that why do you not store with the transom saver in place? If its a limit of room then its recommended to store the engine in the down position. I say its likely normal.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    There arent many hydraulic systems that wont bleed down over time. I was always taught never to rely on the hydraulics like that why do you not store with the transom saver in place? If its a limit of room then its recommended to store the engine in the down position. I say its likely normal.
    The boat stays in my garage and I don't have the room to keep the motor on the transom saver. I figured with the hydraulic system being a sealed unit, it shouldn't have any leak down. Well at least not a big amount.

Im doing a leak down test now measuring every two hours. So far I have lost 1.5" in 4hrs

4. Member
    So in 12hrs it dropped from full up to all the way down. Im pretty sure that isn't right... Time to call my dealer back

5. Member
    My friend's 2017 Mercury 75 4stroke does the same thing. He lowers the engine to a vertical position for storing in his garage but came out one morning to find the engine touching the wall because it leaked down past the vertical position. He just cut a small board to fit the space between the engine at vertical and the transom. Problem solved. I think its probably normal on this engine series.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

I have a 2016 115 4 stroke. It sits in the garage with the engine trimmed down level. I never leave it in more elevated than that but it certainly isn't trimmed all the way in. It has never moved and has sat that way for up to 3 months at a time.

7. Member
    My dealer agreed it's not normal and is having Mercury send a new unit to replace mine for the second time. Hope this one solves it. Thanks for the input.

8. Banned
    Was gonna say that's not normal. Our 2016 115 CT on the pontoon is trimmed all the way up to keep the lower unit out of the water. It'll sit like that for a week and not fall at all... Dan

9. Member
    Sounds more like a valve leaking than a second cylinder.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

10. Member
    Well now my fourth tilt/trim unit is leaking down. I timed and measured it dropping 2" in 1 hour. Mercury says its normal for them to leak 2" every 24hrs. Which I think is a joke. Guess I'm the only one getting these bad units? I don't think I'm doing anything to cause this. I use transom saver while traveling. Tired of driving this boat back and fourth to the dealer an hour each way. 5 times back and forth for issues in 6 months. Just wanna fish, but as I'm running the trolling motor I look back and the big motor drops down almost hitting rock/bottom.

It seems to be a somewhat common issue. I have seen several reports of this, granted your the first I have seen that got multiple bad units. I have seen this reported on 16's and 17's, I guess I just got lucky and got a good one. My 16 never moves.

12. Member
    Maybe they put something different on the 2017 ProXS CT ? I'm calling Mercury directly tomorrow.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

The standard is 1" drop in 12 hours (pretty much across the board).

Easy enough to check.... place a 5 gallon bucket, upside down, under the gearcase, with a 2" space between gearcase/skeg and the bucket. If you're pretty sure it's going to drop that far, add CARDBOARD or CARPET to the bucket (to prevent scratching) before you measure your 2".

24 hours later... it should be no closer than "just resting" on the bucket.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    I trimmed it all the way up, and it will drop all the way down within 2 hours now. It also will click as im running it up or down. This will be the 4th unit on this motor thats only 8 months old.When they install new ones its fine for about 3-5 times out, smooth quiet no clicking and will not move an inch in a week.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That much leakdown would be unacceptable.

Contact your dealer (directly). If they are unable to assist, there is a number in your Engine Owner's Manual for Customer Assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor