MANUAL JACK VS HYDRO "RELIABILITY"

For many years I ran 2 different brand name hydraulic jack plates, the names I won't mention because the problems were the same. My last 3 boats I went to manual jack plates and on 2 of the 3 boats no issues "one I could not keep side bolts tight and it bent". I am fully aware of all the ruff water and performance issues that the hydro jack helps with, and I'm am not looking for information related to performance.

My question is do any of you have problems with your hydro jack plates as far as RELIABILITY? Things like but not limited to leaking hydro fluid, bent plates, plates popping out of the track, not supporting good mounts for the power poles????

My last hydro had sooooo many issues I swore I would never own one again, just want to know if they have improved??? I would love the benefits but don't want any headaches.

I have put my bobs action through hell and back without a single hiccup. If it can break I will break it.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Take a look a Detwiller (Sea Star) or the new Hydro Dynamics plates. Just about every Stroker runs the Detwiller units.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

4. Banned
    Go with the Bob's Action Jac. I installed them on my last 2 boats and haven't had an issue with either... No pump in the boat is why I've went with them... Dan

5. Member
    OK, thanks for all the information guys. So I will cave in and mention names. The Detwiller is the one I had the most Issues with. It was sooo bad at holding fluid the engine would sink due to loos of fluid after two warranty seal replacements. I have heard great things about BOB's. Any of you guy's running T&H Atlas???

6. Member
    13+ years on my Detwyler. I've had to add fluid once, and that's it.

7. Member
    The old detwillers leaked like crazy. When you wpuld raise it all the way up, itd actually stretch out the bolts and that would cause it to leak.

I had one of those but now im onto Atlas. It seems like a good plate and I havent had an issue. Have heard great things about both Atlas and Bobs.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    The old detwillers leaked like crazy. When you wpuld raise it all the way up, itd actually stretch out the bolts and that would cause it to leak.

I had one of those but now im onto Atlas. It seems like a good plate and I havent had an issue. Have heard great things about both Atlas and Bobs.

Yes sir my DETWILLER was a 2002. At that time I won't forget being in a parking lot at a hotel and me and two other guys were jacking up and filling our Detwiller's every night.

Glad to hear the Atlas has been good for you. I would like to see if any of you guys running a Atlas are also having good luck with them and if the hold up to big water like GREAT LAKES big water.

So far no issues with the Atlas on my rig...but honestly havent really put this thing through any really bad water. 90 hours on the rig..

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    So far no issues with the Atlas on my rig...but honestly havent really put this thing through any really bad water. 90 hours on the rig..
    With a ATLAS how did they mount your power poles, was it on the side like with a T&H manual plate?

Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    With a ATLAS how did they mount your power poles, was it on the side like with a T&H manual plate?
    Yes...The atlas is pre drilled for PP...

12. Member
    Atlas here too. No issues, and there are actually 2 sets of holes where PP adapter plates can be mounted. Not to mention I had a self inflicted issue and those guys took care of me. No questions asked. Awesome service.

13. Member
    I have a 10 year old Bob's that I've had for 5 years and so far zero problems.

14. Banned
    I run an 8" Atlas with the height indicator gauge. Only issue I have had is the plastic mount that is part of the height indicator on the plate cracked/ broke.

15. Member
    No one is perfect but IMO Bob's is as close as you can get.

They were developed in a grueling saltwater environment.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

16. Member
    My Bob's is internal pump, but works great. Amazingly simple, and I honestly can't see how it'd ever slide out of the track. (Welded tabs and all.)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

17. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    17 year old Bobs jackplate. Had to replace the reservoir last year....been solid other than that.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

18. BBC SPONSOR
    I'm a bit bias :P Bob's all the way. Made in our own factory in Tampa FL, in our own CNC mills. By far the fastest jack plate on market, and that is important for a good hole shot, and also 1 piece side rails, not cheap bolt on spacers like all the other ones.

If I can help with any questions call me or any of our techs anytime, 813-247-7040

I have run both Atlas and Bob's. Both good plates. I went back to manual plate on my current boat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team