Thread: Surf fishing?

Banned

Surf fishing?

Going to the beach for a couple days this weekend. We are going to Holden beach for 2 days Sat and Sun and then we have a condo rented at Carolina beach from Mon. thru Wed. Is there anything biting in the surf? I don't care if it is 12" long or a whale but would like to catch something and prefer to cast and catch something. I'm not much on just watching a rod in a rod holder but if that is how to catch something then I game. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Make you some bottom or fish finder rigs get some fresh shrimp, blood worms and or soft shell sand fleas....cast and wait.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Kure Pier - Carolina Rig, Live Mud Minnows... Might get lucky for a flounder or two. Just guessing, I have not been fishing down there in a year or so.

4. Member
    Or
    Saw plenty of fish brought in on the Winner party boats. Take a day and go out bottom dragging. Not my thing, but they had a bunch of fish strung up Saturday evening when we walked by.

I would tie up a Carolina rig with mud minnows and if you can find where the holes are cast to them for flounder. I've always wanted to go out with and inshore guide.

6. Banned
    Thanks guys. We are going to give it a try and see what happens. I have been working just about everyday since the BFL on Falls and haven't had the boat out of the garage in over a month so I'm a little fishing deprived. I was getting a couple rods out of the boat yesterday and found where a huge snake had shed it's skin in my rod box. I hope he moves out for the next trip. I think it was the big black snake so I'm really not that worried about him but that would be a hell of a surprise if he would crawl out while running down the lake.

7. Member
    Carolina rig with Gulp shrimp should work Jamie son caught some last weekend at Carolina beach.
    Headed to Topsail tonight & gonna fish offshore Mon with my daughter if weather holds. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Thanks guys. We are going to give it a try and see what happens. I have been working just about everyday since the BFL on Falls and haven't had the boat out of the garage in over a month so I'm a little fishing deprived. I was getting a couple rods out of the boat yesterday and found where a huge snake had shed it's skin in my rod box. I hope he moves out for the next trip. I think it was the big black snake so I'm really not that worried about him but that would be a hell of a surprise if he would crawl out while running down the lake.
    Hahahahaha!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Going to the beach for a couple days this weekend. We are going to Holden beach for 2 days Sat and Sun and then we have a condo rented at Carolina beach from Mon. thru Wed. Is there anything biting in the surf? I don't care if it is 12" long or a whale but would like to catch something and prefer to cast and catch something. I'm not much on just watching a rod in a rod holder but if that is how to catch something then I game. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
    I thought you wanted to be a shrimp boat capt'n ??

I've had pretty good luck using the fishbites blood worms and shrimp. Catch a little bit of everything on them. Cut off a piece about an inch long per hook so the bag lasts a long time.

If you want to try live bait put a small piece of fishbites on the end of the hook just over the Barb, keeps you from losing bait.

May be able to go to a pier and catch blues and spanish mackeral on a gotcha plug.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    May be able to go to a pier and catch blues and spanish mackeral on a gotcha plug.
    One of favorite ways to fish. I will be at Topsail in a few weeks. Chucking a got cha.

13. Member
    I was at topsail last week and didnt see any blues or spanish schooling. I ended up getting blood worms just to catch something. We go to topsail eveey year this time amd the fishing is never good for me off the surf.

14. Member
    I was down at CB for a few days this week. The only people that I saw fishing the surf were just catching pinfish. I didn't venture out to any of the piers. My son and I went out with Jeff Wolfe/Seahawk Fishing Charters on Friday morning and caught some fish inshore. We had several puppy drum on topwater and had a few more pull loose. Several blowups that didn't connect. My son had a "slam". The flounder and trout were not keepers though.