Replaced my bunk boards

I put on my new bunk boards today and it was like I installed a lift kit on the boat. I didn't realize how suppressed the old bunk boards were. Anyhow I discovered some chips in the gel coat so I will be applying some Marine Tex to the damaged areas soon. I assume you apply some wax after the Marine Tex cures and you are good to go, would that be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I put on my new bunk boards today and it was like I installed a lift kit on the boat. I didn't realize how suppressed the old bunk boards were. Anyhow I discovered some chips in the gel coat so I will be applying some Marine Tex to the damaged areas soon. I assume you apply some wax after the Marine Tex cures and you are good to go, would that be correct?
    Maybe sand it smooth if it's not. I don't think you even need to worry about waxing it. That stuff isn't going anywhere once it cures!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    No need to wax, just sand it as smooth as you can.

I've never waxed a Marinetex repair on the bottom. I'm not sure it is necessary
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbass1 View Post
    I've never waxed a Marinetex repair on the bottom. I'm not sure it is necessary
    I don't know if it is necessary either but the chips/nicks are big enough to make me feel that repairs are needed. If it were just a few scratches then I wouldn't be worried about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I don't know if it is necessary either but the chips/nicks are big enough to make me feel that repairs are needed. If it were just a few scratches then I wouldn't be worried about them.
    I think he just meant that after you repair it with Marine Tex, it's not necessary to wax it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    Thanks Drew, I just reread his post and thought how stupid I am by not comprehending it. You just gave me confirmation

Just a limitation of the written word on the net along with a little potential short hand.... leaves room for interpretation.