Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cnczdad View Post
    I did, very nicely I might add, and he just said he was sorry, it ran great for him.
    Lesson learned, that's for sure
    It's to bad that we have people like that. Of course he knew full well the motor was junk. I feel your pain.

2. Member
    Check the service records that the guy gave you. Call the place that maintained the motor. Give him the model and serial number. Maybe you can prove that the guy knew they had a pre-existing problem.

I learned this from experience, my friend bought a Grady-White with a 98 Merc 225 on the back. Seller said that it ran great...did an, after the fact, compression test and found low compression in 2 cylinders. When he brought it to the local Merc dealer, luckily he told us that he's already worked on this engine before. He told me he had the record of the two blown cylinders.

Long story short, we contacted the seller. Told him we would take him to small claims court. he agreed to give back a significant portion of the repair cost money without going to court.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    It's to bad that we have people like that. Of course he knew full well the motor was junk. I feel your pain.
    Thats why he dumped,,err sold it.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Member
    Yeah, he got me. Can't dwell on it now, lesson learned. It will be a much better rig once i'm done, and i'll know exactly what i've got.

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Yeah, he got me. Can't dwell on it now, lesson learned. It will be a much better rig once i'm done, and i'll know exactly what i've got.
    Got burnt on a Skeeter years ago and got burnt on my present Ranger. After $$$$$$$ and a lot of sweat, it is a fine boat now. It happens but still stings.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Got burnt on a Skeeter years ago and got burnt on my present Ranger. After $$$$$$$ and a lot of sweat, it is a fine boat now. It happens but still stings.
    That it does for sure!

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    New carpet over bad floor and structure damage (chinsy fiberglass repair that actually leaked to mask it) and removed over 100 pounds of floatation foam that was saturated. Replaced all flooring and crack and hole inside of side of of boat. I was so stuck on insuring motor ran good, let that overshadow the rest,,,,that was on me.

8. Member
    Do you guys know if a late 80's, early 90's, Johnson GT150 powerhead would work? Not exactly sure all the specifics, but wanted to see if it was an option before further investigation.

9. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Don't believe it will work. The GT's and Fast Strike/Intruder were quite different.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Adapter plate and mid section are different.

11. Member
    Low and behold, it looks like I can get an 89 Johnson Gt 150, fairly reasonable,(which right now, I know personally, runs like a scalded dog), and just replace what's hanging off the back now. Wise move? Or am I just a gluten for punishment? Are the lower units the same on the Intruder vs the GT? Will I be able to salvage many parts off the intruder, just in case? Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

12. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Parts from the GT150 will not interchange with the fast strike(powerheads) except maybe a few nuts and bolts. I personally would look for a good used faststrike powerhead or just look into repair/rebuild. You never know how the old crossflow has been maintained and you just cant beat the punch a looper faststrike has when running right. Going to an old crossflow is kind of like going backwards in technology and performance.. Unless you are getting it for a steal-the GT150. A good used/well maintained and running crossflow can be had for around $800-$1000. What is he asking?

13. Member
    Parts from the GT150 will not interchange with the fast strike(powerheads) except maybe a few nuts and bolts. I personally would look for a good used faststrike powerhead or just look into repair/rebuild. You never know how the old crossflow has been maintained and you just cant beat the punch a looper faststrike has when running right. Going to an old crossflow is kind of like going backwards in technology and performance.. Unless you are getting it for a steal-the GT150. A good used/well maintained and running crossflow can be had for around $800-$1000. What is he asking?
    It's a friend of the family that just bought a brand new boat, and will sell me his old boat, motor, and trailer for $1500. Figured I could recoup some of my money with the boat and trailer. I know the motor, and it runs great. He is even going to take it to the marine technician, and have him go thru it and make sure everything is top notch.

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    It's a friend of the family that just bought a brand new boat, and will sell me his old boat, motor, and trailer for $1500. Figured I could recoup some of my money with the boat and trailer. I know the motor, and it runs great. He is even going to take it to the marine technician, and have him go thru it and make sure everything is top notch.
    What kind of boat and trailer?

15. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Just remember on the old crossflows, run at least 89 octane fuel and prop it it for 5500-5700 wot. Run OMC stroke oil also. Max timing 28 degress and no more,,,,it is a rugged motor but thirsty.

16. Member
    What kind of boat and trailer?
    Nothing special. Late 80's 18 foot Cajun, and factory trailer, but figured I could get some money back.

17. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Nothing special. Late 80's 18 foot Cajun, and factory trailer, but figured I could get some money back.
    send me some pictures and price omcman17@hotmail.com

18. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    send me some pictures and price omcman17@hotmail.com
    New project Art? Or do you have a hopped up looper sitting around begging for a transom?
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

19. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    New project Art? Or do you have a hopped up looper sitting around begging for a transom?
    Have a 2.6 crossflow and a GT150 just a beggin for a new home,,,

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You're going to need a wiring harness adapter to make it work. The GT uses a Cannon connector (Big red plug) and the harness on the the fast strike is a new style MWS harness. Your control cables will work fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast