Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy 1996 Evinrude Intruder 150, milky carbs bottom 2

New guy here, so please forgive any stupid questions or lack of knowledge. I know enough to get me in trouble, but I am nowhere near a professional. Right about now, I feel like and idiot...

The story...
    I just bought a 96 skeeter ZX180, with a 96 Evinrude Intruder 150 (carbs). 8" jack-plate, and Raker prop (not sure of pitch). When I originally looked at the boat, everything looked great. River was too low to test drive so we ran it on the muffs. Everything looked good, sounded great, and appeared to be working as it should. The boat was in impeccable shape for the year, almost pristine.

Excited to finally get it in the water yesterday, we headed to Lake Anna. I backed the boat in, started great, warmed up, hit the gas. Planed off good, although not quite what I was expecting. Only 2 minutes in, and it seemed to loose a little power, started to turn around and head back, and she died as I let off the gas. It restarted but wouldn't stay running, eventually got towed back. It seemed like it wasn't getting fuel, and the bulb wouldn't stay tight. Seeing as we had a spare, I replaced it, and continued with the same issues. We put the boat back on the trailer and pulled the hat. Once we removed the front airbox, I was devastated.

Both bottom 2 carbs look to have a milky fuel, water, oil coming out, and the air box had some in the very bottom.

I don't have the model# yet, I will get that this afternoon.

Iv'e seen the other posts on here and you guys seem to be a great group! Please tell me i'm not in for thousands in repairs.....

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take the air box off and looking at the carbs, you'll see the fuel hose coming up between # 3 and 4 carbs there will be a white nylon nut that the hose is attached to. Either remove the hose or unscrew the nut carefully and remove it from the motor. Place it in a clear container and give the primer bulb a few pumps to get fuel into the container. Put it aside and wait a few moments. See if there is water sitting on the bottom of the container. If so you have water in the gas.

3. Member
    Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get home. I'm also going to do a compression test as well for my own satisfaction. Everyone I talked to, and even saw on here spoke relatively high of these motors, yet another reason I went ahead with the purchase.

4. Member
    Welcome to the forum. How much of the fuel was coming out, like a lot or just a little? Any water collected in the belly pan? Pull the spark plugs are they wet or dry? Do a compression test, cold is OK at this point because the motor won't run. If your going to do the work on the motor get a real OMC service manual for your motor. You might be able to down load one from the sticky at the top of the page, or from E-Bay. You can get some great help here, even sometimes from that "other" guy omcforever.

5. Member
    It was definitely "puddled" in the bottom of the air box. I didn't notice any in the belly pan itself. I plan on the compression test this evening, so i'll be able to look at the plugs then also. I should have the service manual at home waiting for me when I get there. I'm really hoping this is a relatively "simple" fix. The previous owner kept the boat in great condition, and had great service records. It just blows my mind, that he said it ran great the last time he had it out, as well as on the muffs, and 4 minutes into my maiden voyage, this happens. The only thing I did was clean it up to my standards, and add ethanol free fuel from the local marina. Thanks again for the help, I'll keep updating.

6. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    These guys will get you fixed up Jason. Just listen closely to what they say and give good feedback on your results. My old Fast Strike now purrs like a prom queen thanks to this bunch! AND, don't assume anything. If you have a question, ask it.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

7. Member
    Thanks headhigh, just by browsing the forum, I knew I was in the right place.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    You can get some great help here, even sometimes from that "other" guy omcforever.
    Hurt my feelings Jerry.....(I know, paybacks)

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum cnczdad. These guys here have smarts real good and can get yah going again.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

10. Member
    Thanks again Guys, I'll let you now my findings shortly!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Hurt my feelings Jerry.....(I know, paybacks)
    I didn't miss that little remark of yours. I love it, that we can have some fun.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I didn't miss that little remark of yours. I love it, that we can have some fun.
    You two need a room?

13. Member
    Well, I don't see the number plate for the exact model, but as I pulled the airbox off, this is what I find...

Fine metal shavings, port side bottom of the airbox, milky fuel both bottom carbs, and looks to be rust, middle carb, starboard side. For some reason, I can't get pics to upload.
    All plugs are slightly wet, with exception of middle plug, starboard side, is fairly dry.
    I'm guessing I might have been had by the seller, considering the metal shavings.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Compression test....first thing.....

15. Member
    Bassmeister, should be here any minute

16. Member
    Starboard side top to bottom.
    Port side top to bottom
    Great... Now what? Power head?

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Or tell the guy about it. Seeing you never got to run it see what he says but a new piston in #4 minimum.

18. Member
    I did, very nicely I might add, and he just said he was sorry, it ran great for him.
    Lesson learned, that's for sure

19. Member
    Any rough idea on what repairs might entail to do it right, and cost? Any reputable places near Richmond Virginia?

20. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    5 and 6 aren't in the ball park either....they're normally lower but not that low.....I would not do less than a full rebuild or another powerhead....I feel your pain....I've been there...4,000.00 range.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast