Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    huskyjerk

Whopper Plopper vs. Spook

So now I'm on the WP bandwagon because it's really getting bit and I find myself throwing it in situations where I used to throw a spook. Sometimes I'll go back and forth between the 2 and it seems the WP just gets more hits. The Spook used to be my favorite, but the plopper has taken over the top spot. How about you guys?

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I throw a spook, haven't tried the WP

3. Member
    They both have their place around here, but that Plopper drives em crazy some days

Benny Rigney

4. Member
    Spook used to be my go to lure for topwater, but ever since I got my first bite on the WP, the spook has stayed in the tackle box.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandybass View Post
    They both have their place around here, but that Plopper drives em crazy some days

6. Member
    Spook for me. Still haven't got a single blowup on the Whopper Plopper. Thrown it sparingly over the past year, but I just have very little confidence in it at this point on the waters I fish.

Whopper ploopper for me but i will still throw a spook.

Maddog, funny you mention not getting bit on it down there. I bought my first one at fast Eddies in 2015 and caught a keeper on it my third cast with it and I was on KY lake. Forget the spook, throw the plopper.

9. Member
    I still haven't caught a single fish on a WP, not that I throw it a ton, but have certainly given it a fair shake over the years.

I've been killin' them on a WP last 2 times out. Fish up to 5 lbs with vicious strikes. My new favorite topwater bait.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

11. Banned
    The spook used to only catch big fish for me and just keeper size fish seemed to leave mine alone. Where as the Plopper seems to catch everything. I caught a big crappie on it last time out!

12. Member
    I've caught 99.999% small fish on the WP. I have caught some giants on the Spook.
    Hi Mike.

13. Member
    What size are y'all throwing? I can't catch anything on the WP.

14. huskyjerk
    I've been throwing the 110 or the 130. I don't throw the 90 since I got a couple 110's.

15. Member
    Whopper Plopper covers water faster...both have there place though.

Both.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

My confidence is with the Whopper Plopper starting out. The only time I've cut it off and threw on a spook was when there was when I was in a school and they wouldn't hit the plopper for some reason. I tied on a spook and made a slower approach and that's what they wanted that day. They both catch fish for me though without a doubt.

18. Member
    If it's slick calm, I'm throwing a spook. A little ripple and the plopper comes out. Like others have said, they both still have their place. I've had days where they absolutely destroyed the plopper and others where they just kinda sucked it in. It's a fun bait to throw for sure.

19. Member
    Been throwing a 130 and still trying to fool the first fish.
    Buzz bait's and frogs work, not so for the WP........yet.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

20. Member
    If you like a WP don't ever throw a showerblow! They are really expensive and they don't work.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast