Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Job interview...

Hey guys just wanted your thoughts because it seems different to me.

I recently interviewed for a job at a cryogenic plant as an operator and interviewed with the plant manager and plant supervisor (top 2 at plant). I recently got a call for a 2nd interview with HR (which I thought meant good things, and still may) but they went on to say that theyve narrowed it down to 4 candidates and are hiring 2. Is it just me or is this backwards? Wouldnt the top 2 guys be the ones the final interview should be with? Not sure what to expect

2. Member
    no they have a top four and will narrow down to the two they are hiring.

Not uncommon - managers now want to hand pick their own candidates to interview first. It's their choice of who will be working for them, so they want to see who passes - not who HR thinks they should interview.
    HR will interview for the typical "red flags" that HR looks for (as well as background checks, etc.).
    Good luck! Hope you make the cut.

4. Member
    You know ya have the job when they ask ya to take a drug test, or maybe not have the job then....hope ya get the position.

5. Member
    not unusual....heads of companies try to insulate themselves from lawsuits relating to hiring by having a second tier process. They probably already know who they are selecting. Regardless, you should be happy that you made the cut. Good luck to you.

Good Luck.

7. Member
    A cryogenic plant? Shouldn't it be more of a lab? Just curious, had never heard of cryogenics. By definition and example, you freeze body parts for further observation and study?
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

8. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Not unusual for having two layers of interviews but a little odd the HR portion did not come first. Usually HR is used to weed out people who just won't make it thru the hiring process. Viable candidates are sent to management for the interview for the specific position.

It is a way of getting in your head. Try not to think about it and go do your thing. Let the others worry about it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milligjg View Post
    A cryogenic plant? Shouldn't it be more of a lab? Just curious, had never heard of cryogenics. By definition and example, you freeze body parts for further observation and study?
    Liquifaction of oxygen, nitrogen and other gasses.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

11. Member
    Freezing natural gas and extracting the liquids
    which are sold.

12. Member
    I have interviewed for several jobs in the last few months. This is not uncommon in the "new hiring practices" of today. Sometimes, you are just a quota filler for HR in case they get sued for discrimination or something else. Like the other guy said, HR is there to make sure all bases are covered from the candidates the person who will be responsible over the candidate. I cannot tell you how many times a recruiter has called me and wanted me to come in for an interview before the presented me to the company. I start off my saying "if this is a legit position, I may come in. If this is just to fill your quota, I do not want to waste my time".

Back to your question, if the plant manager and supervisor want to extend an offer, HR is there to protect them and make sure all bases are covered.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

Well if you get the job and need some seals for the cryogenics plant.....I know a guy!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Not uncommon - managers now want to hand pick their own candidates to interview first. It's their choice of who will be working for them, so they want to see who passes - not who HR thinks they should interview.
    HR will interview for the typical "red flags" that HR looks for (as well as background checks, etc.).
    Good luck! Hope you make the cut.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    That's a good system to interview with the people who have the power to hire you so you can sell yourself as being a excellent employee for them.....HR can run you through the background check, whiz quiz etc....Letting HR sift your candidates is not a good thing they only know HR and nothing about the duties you are being hired for.

Sounds like you made the top 4, congrats. The process doesn't seem unusual to me and I'm surprised you didn't have to interview with more people. My company now does panels of 4-5 people with at least 1 from a different department. Most of it is done to insulate the company from liability but also to add a different perspective as to the interview results.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

Be thankful they called you, sometimes you never hear from them again. At least they kept you in the loop as to what was is going on.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    That's a good system to interview with the people who have the power to hire you so you can sell yourself as being a excellent employee for them.....HR can run you through the background check, whiz quiz etc....Letting HR sift your candidates is not a good thing they only know HR and nothing about the duties you are being hired for.
    This

I interviewed with my future supervisor and her boss for my last job...the HR interview was just a formality after the fact
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

19. Banned
    If You do get the job can You say hello to Teddy Ballgame and son? Thanks

P.S. Tell Mr. Williams that Lake Hernando doesn't fish like He remembers it

20. Member
    Breath into your balls and get that job!!!
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast