bunk carpet scratches

Is anyone having problems with the bunks scratching the bottom of the Boat? I noticed the scratches when I was waxing the hull and when I launched the boat the other day and looked the carpet looked smooth at the top. I also know of one other boat that has the same problem and mine is not even a year old yet.

2. Member
    I have them on mine. I always dunk the boards before I load and one day my co-angler did not dunk them all the way and after I loaded I saw the scratches. It was a shallow ramp and I had to do a little power load which I am sure did not help matters any.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

I thought every boat had scratches from the bunks. To me it is a product of fishing dirty water...

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I had terrible scratches from Toledo bend at the Cypress Bend boat ramp. I didn't think about all the piles of sand at the water line that occur from power loading and unloading boats. During a tournament I dunked my bunkers and I think that is where I picked up the 20 pounds of sand that my bunks had in them. I got them buffed out when I had other repairs done at a local shop. From now on I will be taking the boat off and pressure washing the bunks periodically to get the grit out. I don't think there is any way around it with carpeted bunks. Someone will be on here shortly to talk about Gatorbacks.

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    thats what I love about the gatorbaks, no sand sticks to them and the water drains out on the way home.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    thats what I love about the gatorbaks, no sand sticks to them and the water drains out on the way home.
    ^^^ +1

7. Member
    i will give the gatorbacks a thumbs up but I can't say they are scratch free
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    It's the bottom of the boat... Scratches are bound to happen, and are expected.
    Carpet scratches are prolly the least to worry about out of all of them...on my boat, anyway.
    Just sayin'

9. Member
    Yup, I got them pretty bad on my 2016. Time for a great detail job and some new gatorbacks I guess.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I would almost guarantee everyone with carpet bunks has the same issue with scratch hulls....you just can see it better on a black hull.....like said dirt/sand, etc. get trapped in the carpet and that is what's scratching your hull.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Yep - sand scratches are part of the game. We primarily fish a tidal river. No getting away from sand and the scratches from the bunks. But with that said it's reason I stay away from a black hull as the scratches stand out even more..