Question Curious concerning Trim Tab

Probably a better area to post this question but maybe it is ok here. My Ole 98 Hydra Sports is running wonderful at the Moment and praying the Good Lord will continue to cause it to be that way. My Tech question comes from the fact that there is a rather strong pull to the left when under power. Previous owner most likely bent the Skag on an Oyster Bar possibly. The bend is not very pronounced but enough to cause the pull to the left! Was told yesterday to loosen the Trim Tab above the Prop and move it slightly to the left to help compensate. Just checking you folks, my on-line Tech experts for your insight into the correction possibilities! Thanks for all you help!
    Thanks for any leads!

Take Care Folks

Hope all is well and all are well
    Boze

\"If we lose freedom here, there\'s no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth.\" Ronald Reagan, \"The time for Choosing\" October 1964

\"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves\" SGM Basil Plumley

2. Banned
    Most motors I see don't have one including mine.

Bill

3. mikesxpress
    If your engine has a "torque tab" above the prop on the bottom of the cavitation plate, yes you can loosen the bolt and turn it a few degrees at a time to adjust for what your calling pull to one side.

The torque tab is designed to take prop rotation torque out of the steering to make the steering neutral. Prop rotation torque cause the engine to pull the boat into a RIGHT turn though. The torque tabs are curved and adjust to the RIGHT to put LEFT turn pressure on the engine to counter the torque. What you are describing as pulling LEFT cannot be corrected with a torque tab. At least not any I have seen on engines.

Thanks, I will adjust the tab a few degrees to and take it slowly to work through this if if can be helped at all! Should have stated that the engine is a 98 150 Johnson which does have the Trim Tab. Thanks again for your notes and really appreciate it!
    Boze

\"If we lose freedom here, there\'s no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth.\" Ronald Reagan, \"The time for Choosing\" October 1964

Btw Skeeterbait I live in Selma and was in Deatsville many years! Take Care!
    Boze

Is his tab really going to be in the water when running?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'd say yes. My motor had one on it before I replaced the prop with a Tempest Plus that was too big and had to replace it with the flat style. I can tell a very slight difference in handling without the tab versus having it, and I've got hydraulic steering. To be fair, my motor also sits way too low at the moment, so that may change once I install my jackplate.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

T & H Marine makes an aluminum torque tab that mounts on the following edge of your skeg that will do more than the one on the motor. I used one on my Johnson 175 before I installed hydraulic steering. It really helps negate torque.

Thanks again for all your replies! May take a photo of the bent skeg and Trim Tab just to let see the degree of bend in skeg. Thanks again!
    Boze

11. Member
    Move the back edge of your tab to the left standing behind the motor (port, or passenger side) and it will reduce the pull to the left.
    This is not a guess or speculation, assuming you have room to move it left.

if you need more, consider the TH Marine skeg device, but it will need to be mounted on the port side of the skeg.
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 08-17-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Thank you so very much! Yes, there is room to move it as I have not previously moved it. Hopefully will be able to get to the river soon to get an idea if it is corrected or needs more adjustment!

Appreciate this and all the comments.

Thanks again!
    Boze

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    In most cases no.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    In most cases no.
    What Al said.....it helps with torque coming out of the hole, but when on plane it's outta the water....unless the L/U is buried....

15. Member
    In this case it likely will.

I'm a whole lot closer both literally and figuratively to Selma, Al and a 98 Hydrasport with a 150 than you guys are with your Gambler/250 and your big block Rude...Just sayin.....
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 08-18-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs