Falcon rod help/suggestions

Falcon Lowrider Lfc-5-17 help

Hey BBC,

Im looking for opinions on this rod. I currently have the Angler of Year rod 6'8" mh mf. I love the rod and use it throw chatterbaits a lot. My question is, how does the Lfc-5-17 compare to it? I know it's longer but is the actual similar in action despite the length difference? I have read that it is substantially stiffer than the AOY rod. What are your thoughts? I am also looking for opinions on which rod in the lowrider line up would be best for throwing chatterbaits. Looking for something longer than 6'8" just for casting distance and ability to get fish out of grass. How do you feel the swim jig rod would do?

Thanks for your help,
    Chris

2. Member
    Heard a lot of guys like throwing chatterbaits on the swim jig rod don't have that one but love the rods

3. Member
    Whether a Lowrider or Cara or even the latest model of BuCoo, the 5-7 model has always been my favorite. I think I have 4-5 of them in the boat. Chatterbait, sspinnerbait, buzzbait, big squarebill, t-rig, light/shallow c-rig or even deep cranks....this rod is very versatile.
    Last edited by K.D.; 08-16-2017 at 11:46 PM.

4. Member
    One of my favorite all around rods. It will have a little more flex in it than the AOY. I've got 3 or 4 of them. Squarebill, spinnerbaits, flukes, senkos, small swimbait, all kinds of stuff I use them for. The only rod I like better is the 7'3" heavy

5. Member
    Other than St. Croix..................Falcon is my favorite!

I have a cara in the AOY and its a great rod. I really likw the 6'10" 5 power I got its my go to rod. I thing the 7'5 power would,make a great rod also.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

7. Member
    the swim jig rod has a lot of tip to it. their website has a great listing of what rods they have if you break down the model number you can read the power and length of the rod
    AOY is LFC-5-168S so the first part is the model ie Lowrider in this case. the second number is the power of the rod, 5 in Falcon is medium heavy. the second set is the length, 168 means its a 6' 8" rod. and the S at the end means split grip.
    So the LFC-5-7 (Big Cranker) is the same action as the AOY but its 7' in length and has an extra eye because of it and has a full grip instead of the split.

I'm using a couple year old mcclelland 7'4" for chatterbaits. The swim jig 7'2" is a great swim jig rod as long as the cover isn't too crazy. I typically throw a 3/8 chatterbait and the blade in the front can really catch grass, that 7'4" 6power rod has the backbone to rip, and the tip is great for hookups
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

9. Member
    I use Falcon rods exclusively, mostly Caras, call them because they are very helpful and will answer any questions you have about rod selection. (918) 251-0020

10. Member
    Used nothing but Falcons for 20 yrs guiding. Now I'm the factory rep for SE Texas.

The LFC-5-17 is a great all around rod, but for what you're describing, I'd go with the LFC-5-172 swim jig. It's a fantastic rod for chatterbaits. I do feel it's a bit soft for swim jigs. But that's just personal preference.

11. Member
    I have what I think is a 5 power that I bought years ago. It is a lizard dragger 1 if I remember correctly. I have gone to all Loomis, but this rod is my workhorse. I use it for buzzbaits, swimjigs, chatterbaits and even Alabama Rigs with light jigheads. I caught my only double digit bass with this rod in 2001 and have it rigged up with a buzzbait for this weekend. I would love to have adollar for every bass that has been caught with that rod. My rod has a great ti[ with a lot of backbone.

12. Member
    If you have the full handle 6'8 ". I will trade you a 7 foot full handle medium heavy for it. I like those 6' 8 but can't find them anymore.

For my money the 5 rods are not enough to get fish out of weeds. I have a few 6s and, although they are marked "Heavy," they are more like a "Medium Heavy."

I wish someone around here stocked Falcon rods. They are my absolute favorites.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    I have what I think is a 5 power that I bought years ago. It is a lizard dragger 1 if I remember correctly. I have gone to all Loomis, but this rod is my workhorse. I use it for buzzbaits, swimjigs, chatterbaits and even Alabama Rigs with light jigheads. I caught my only double digit bass with this rod in 2001 and have it rigged up with a buzzbait for this weekend. I would love to have adollar for every bass that has been caught with that rod. My rod has a great ti[ with a lot of backbone.
    I have a 5 and 6 power Lowrider Lizard Dragger, both are great rods. The 5 power has a soft tip and good backbone, I've found it makes not only a great swimjig rod, but a good short range frog rod.

15. Member
    Thank you for all the replies and help. The information is truly appreciated. Still not sure which rod I will be getting but will be making my decision soon.

Thanks again,
    Chris

16. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I am a Big Fan of Cara 6'10" -5 power for most things.