Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of trying mechanical broadheads this year. Whatcha think?

I've always used traditional broadheads but thinking of trying a mechanical this year. For those of you that use them, which ones work and which should I stay away from?

I had good luck with rage broadheads for a while but im set up for elk now so I've settled on slick trick viper tricks and wac em 4 blades for deer. I really see no advantage to using a mechanical for a properly tuned bow, but if it's not tuned the best and you have plenty of arrow weight and speed... why not

Yeah, I shot slick tricks the last couple of years and they are a good head. I may end up staying with them. I'm bad about convincing myself there is something better that I'm missing

You too huh.. tons of choices out there... I'm sure you could be lethal with a pack of those crappy Allen broadheads from wal Mart, so I wouldn't loose sleep over it

Haven't bow hunted in years now, but I never had any problems with fixed blades. What is the advantage of mechanical? Are they just faster or do they make a bigger exit?
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

Quote Originally Posted by SCfisher View Post
    Haven't bow hunted in years now, but I never had any problems with fixed blades. What is the advantage of mechanical? Are they just faster or do they make a bigger exit?
    Fly better from an less than perfectly tuned bow and offer huge cutting surfaces without all the wind planing you would get if you had a 2" plus fixed blade

Gotcha
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

Much rather prefer rage heads myself.... They can make a great shot an awesome shot and an iffy shot a killing shot all due to their cutting path.... It's huge....
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    You too huh.. tons of choices out there... I'm sure you could be lethal with a pack of those crappy Allen broadheads from wal Mart, so I wouldn't loose sleep over it
    Those were probably my first broadheads I ever shot.

10. Member
    It's all about arrow placement. I have always heard that if you put a field point threw the heart = a dead deer. I have been shooting the original 2 blade rages with the O ring. I have hit one doe high that I didn't find (hit in no mans land) but the rest of the deer I have shot with them has fallen within 100 yards. The last two bucks crashed hard. I have 0 reason to change. I got 100s of O rings and 2 packs of rage replacement blades.
    RANGER BOATS

I grew up shooting muzzy fixed blades and swore I'd never shoot mechanical. I broke down and tried rage chisel tips, couldn't be happier. As mentioned above marginal shots made good. Have watched the majority of deer drop. Blind man can find the blood trail.

12. Member
    Rage all the way

13. Member
    one word Muzzy! doesn't matter if 3 or 4 blade.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    been there done that...fixed blades work every time. I will never hunt elk or larger game with a mechanical. I have shot a lot of big game and I still go with the muzzy's every time.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

15. T Dub
    This topic has been debated for decades. Both fixed and mechanical get the job done. I shoot mechanical because I don't like to practice with broadheads. Every deer I've ever killed with a bow was with a mechanical - The only deer I've ever lost were because of bad shots.

16. Member
    I like rage 2 blades too! Nice big holes leave good blood trails.

17. Member
    every deer I've shot with a rage has gone down within sight and the blood trails are gigantic.

You want a hole go with a snuffer.......

I tried mechanicals one season. Didn't like the risk of failure to deploy. Movement in flight was a concern also. I shot a deer that year with one and the blade deploying caused the broadhead to deflect on entry. Instead of entering behind the rib for a pass through, the arrow and braodhead followed the backbone under the blackstrap. Huge blood trail but no kill. My wife killed that buck 2 1/2 weeks later in rifle season with the arrow still in place. I had over 300 cam pics of him the week before she shot it and the arrow was plainly visible.
    So we both have been shooting Toxic broadheads ever since.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

I think I've decided to try something from Wasp, Magnus or NAP. Muzzy is out of the running since they sold out and Rage have the big China stamp on them. Several people on archery talk say you can get rage knockoffs for a buck a piece on eBay that are just as good as actual rage heads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast