Question Whatever happened to the ProCull Conservationv Clip Culling Tags ?

I was looking on line and it seems this company has gone by the wayside. Looking for some good culling balls. I have the ardent system but just don't like the lip piercing clips. It looks like there is no real good non piercing clip system out there that folks say they always fall off or stress the fish out. I considered modifying my ardent system by extending the cable put a couple cable stops and a clip mid way very similar to the ProCull style and just fit surgical or clear viynl tubing over the cable for extra protection of the gill plate.

Any thoughts/suggestions or anybody done anything similar. I'd hate to spend $ on different fish friendly culling systems that don't work great.

2. Member
    Check out the cal coast clips. I got them this year and they are like vice grips

3. Member
    I wanted the same thing but could not find an alternative. I think most culling clips are designed to be used inbetween the cheek and outer gill. I have yet to damage a fish from it and dang sure hate to see guys puncture the lip. No real reason for it.

Cal Coast x 2. I marshaled with Mark Daniels Jr and he was using them.... I was impressed enough to buy some for myself. so far so good.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

5. Member
    Check out the Clip-n-culls from Cal Coast Fishing. They are a great product and stay on your fish with their unique ratchet style clip to adjust the amount of tension you need the keep it on the fish

6. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    I personally hated the cal coast culling system. Just my opinion but they are all plastic and attached with a small piece of rope. They also keep the fishes mouth half open and are on the high side price wise for r what they are. I'm still in the market for a good alternative...

7. Member
    Why is puncturing the lip such a big concern? When you catch a fish on a 4/0 flipping hook or a frog with 2 big hooks, are you concerned about the hole you just made in them? If you use the clips right you will never know they were punctured. Put the clip through from the outside of the lower lip right behind, and I mean RIGHT BEHIND, the bone of the lower lip and you can remove the clip to weigh and you will never know he was on a cull ball. You can grab your cull ball and lift the fish out of the livewell without making a big hole because the clip is supported by the bone of the lip. I have watched a Youtube video about this but they needed a closeup shot of exactly where to put the clip.

8. Member
    Another vote for Cal Coast. Love mine and haven't had a fish come off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by smallypro225 View Post
    I personally hated the cal coast culling system. Just my opinion but they are all plastic and attached with a small piece of rope. They also keep the fishes mouth half open and are on the high side price wise for r what they are. I'm still in the market for a good alternative...
    I believe the Cal coast stresses the fish. Haven't lost a fish all year till we started using the Cal Coast. Maybe the TH ones will be better.

10. Member
    Fish breathe water. It passes over their gills when they shut their mouths. Any clip or ring keeps this from being 100% efficient. Per someone's previous post I'm going to look at making a basket or such to pull up inside the livewell to lift the fish. What I and I think everybody else hates is getting stuck by the fishes fins when you chase it around inside the livewell. Around here, getting a wound in these waters can be fatal for the fishermen.

Vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States every year. People with vibriosis become infected by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater. Most infections occur from May through October when water temperatures are warmer.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Jay View Post
    Why is puncturing the lip such a big concern? When you catch a fish on a 4/0 flipping hook or a frog with 2 big hooks, are you concerned about the hole you just made in them? If you use the clips right you will never know they were punctured. Put the clip through from the outside of the lower lip right behind, and I mean RIGHT BEHIND, the bone of the lower lip and you can remove the clip to weigh and you will never know he was on a cull ball. You can grab your cull ball and lift the fish out of the livewell without making a big hole because the clip is supported by the bone of the lip. I have watched a Youtube video about this but they needed a closeup shot of exactly where to put the clip.
    This is exactly my thoughts, too! People are way too concerned about ripping holes in fish when they should be more concerned with sharing/learning the proper way to use a puncture type tag. I do it exactly like you described and have never had a problem.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Fish breathe water. It passes over their gills when they shut their mouths. Any clip or ring keeps this from being 100% efficient. Per someone's previous post I'm going to look at making a basket or such to pull up inside the livewell to lift the fish. What I and I think everybody else hates is getting stuck by the fishes fins when you chase it around inside the livewell. Around here, getting a wound in these waters can be fatal for the fishermen.

Vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States every year. People with vibriosis become infected by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater. Most infections occur from May through October when water temperatures are warmer.
    Take a look at glory bags. Pretty much what you're looking for.

13. Member
    I am going to modify my ardent culling balls. Using a piece of round .035 weed eater string (about 20"), uninsulated crimp connectors, and heat shrink. Cut the cable off and run the string through the ball, then move the large clip up with the ball and make a nice size loop so it can move freely. Make another small tight loop on the opposing end and use the heat shrink to cover the connectors. You basically end up with a system similar to the ProCull. You simply slide the tag end in the mouth by the gill plate and hook it on the clip. The ball will still float, no holes in the fish and they can open and close their mouth to breathe in the well. I will post a pic after a do them. I may do one today and test it out this weekend while I am out.

14. Member
    i used one made by a company that had about an 8 inch 1/4 in. rope on each one,clip to lip,fish died because rope was sucked back through the gill.happened 3 times,i threw them away.dont buy these.company name starts with a B.
    Last edited by rbass57; 08-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.

I find it odd that every time this subject is brought up there are always a few people complaining that someone doesn't want to poke a extra hole in thier mouth.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

16. Member
    Look at Quick 8 bait's.

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Use a sharpie, just right the number on the top of their head right behind their eyes!!
    Just get it back enough that it doesn't bother their vision. Done improperly they will be cross eyed at the weigh in scales!!