Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    another stupid question..... I have a fishing trip planned to coincide with the eclipse. Wanting to see if the eclipse has any effect on fishing. Have no intentions to stare at it, will it have any effect on my vision (not real good in the first place)?

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    another stupid question..... I have a fishing trip planned to coincide with the eclipse. Wanting to see if the eclipse has any effect on fishing. Have no intentions to stare at it, will it have any effect on my vision (not real good in the first place)?
    yup, for a few mins you wont be able to see sh*t (enter darkness)---depending on your location of course.

This is a good video explaining what to expect. http://mashable.com/2017/08/16/solar.../#BpSMO.n8Uiqj

4. Member
    There was a solar eclipse when I was in grade school, we all went out on the playground to watch it, and watch it we did. I remember that it got dark enough that the street lights came on. We were told not to just stand there and stare at the sun for 10 minutes, but honestly there was o ly one kid in our class that was stupid enough to wanna do that.....and he did.
    Nobody, not even Timmy the freak, ever went blind.

A few years later though ol'Timmy heard that if you smeared Vaseline on your skin you could dump gas on yourself and light it....and it wouldn't burn you. Timmy greased himself up and squirted Zippo lighter fluid all over himself. Several years later than that Timmy couldn't get a date for the prom.
    Wonder whatever became of Timmy?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post

A few years later though ol'Timmy heard that if you smeared Vaseline on your skin you could dump gas on yourself and light it....and it wouldn't burn you. Timmy greased himself up and squirted Zippo lighter fluid all over himself. Several years later than that Timmy couldn't get a date for the prom.
    He slipped through the cracks.

6. Member
    Here is the real question. I will be fishing when it happens will it open a feeding window?

7. Member
    why not?
    Yall got Gulf fishing-we dont-we gotta get a bone sometime!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepags View Post
    Are your guys really trying to watch the eclipse?

8. Member
    DINKS--as usual great question i did SOME digging--this is what I came up with--I THINK --the suns brightness is the sun's brightness but staring at too long may cause your eyes into thinking "ALL OK" but when the sun reappears--its a shock to the eyes???? https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.84db4c52e188
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    I'm guessing it has to do with light you normally see is reflected off of things before you see it. Whereas if you look directly at the sun the rays are not reflected as much and are at a higher strength thus your sunglasses will not suffice as they are more set up for reflected light.

9. Member
    While wearing the glasses, you will be able to see the moon pass in front of the sun. Back in grade school we made pin holes in index cards to watched it projected on another index card(kind of sucked) the shop teacher brought out a welding mask and we all got to take a turn looking through it (really cool, I still remember what it looked like)

You won't just stand there with the glasses on for two hours staring at the eclipse happen. You will put your glasses on, glance up, take them of, drink a beer, bs with person next to you, repeat.
    The really cool cool part is when it reaches totality. Not saying it will change your life, just is pretty cool.

Remember, eclipse or not, you only get a certain amount of sunrises and sunsets in a life time. Enjoy as many as you can...

good luck, have fun.

10. Member
    does one need special glasses if they are not seeing the full eclipse? I'll be in Colorado, and it will only be a partial.

11. huskyjerk
    If you're watching in SC, you need to watch out for the Lizard Man!

http://www.newsweek.com/solar-eclips...ficials-650064

Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    does one need special glasses if they are not seeing the full eclipse? I'll be in Colorado, and it will only be a partial.
    Yes. If you are going to be starring at the sun you need special glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    Make a pinhole camera from a cereal box. Recycle it when the partial eclipse is over. Make another one when the next eclipse comes around. No need for special glasses. It will be a partial eclipse here at best. I'll be at work and if it is a clear day and I'm not to busy at work, I'll take my Cheerios box outside and check it out!!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

14. idbefishing
    For those saying it will ruin your camera and won't work. I made a short recording of the sun with my iPhone 6 Plus, it worked just fine.

15. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I will be viewing and capturing it on my camera's LED screen.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

16. Banned
    Heard a person that works for a zoo say that the eclipse will make some animals react as it it is night time and do what they would normally do when it is getting dark or getting light. Reckon the roosters will get a work out

17. Banned
    I'm looking forward to it (pun intended) I plan to take a real good gander but I am a 'Gazer' and am almost up to 75 seconds

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...-of-sungazing/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sungazing

18. Member
    im him--im the "TIMMY" it burned a bit--but I took it like a 'skint' knee--
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    There was a solar eclipse when I was in grade school, we all went out on the playground to watch it, and watch it we did. I remember that it got dark enough that the street lights came on. We were told not to just stand there and stare at the sun for 10 minutes, but honestly there was o ly one kid in our class that was stupid enough to wanna do that.....and he did.

Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    Heard a person that works for a zoo say that the eclipse will make some animals react as it it is night time and do what they would normally do when it is getting dark or getting light. Reckon the roosters will get a work out
    How is it gonna be any darker than a dark, stormy day? Animals don't get confused then.......Sounds silly to me, especially when it's only gonna last couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    How is it gonna be any darker than a dark, stormy day? Animals don't get confused then.......Sounds silly to me, especially when it's only gonna last couple minutes.
    This isn't the first eclipse, they are going on what has happened in the past.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast