Heads up! Moisture in my Hydrowave

Just want to make other aware of it in case this happens to you.

I finished a tournament in the rain this w/e and went to turn off my H2 and the screen was blank and there was obvious water penetration. The unit was still emitting sound but I could not read the screen.

I powered it off and later removed it from my boat. I put it my truck the next couple of days while it was outside hoping the heat would dry it out. It somewhat did but there was still moisture showing in it. The unit is out of warranty so I decided to take it apart to see if I could get it dried out completely before plugging back in. So what I found was that there was no rubber seal like I was expecting, but just lame-ass attempt at putting silicone where the two halves snap together and then a desiccant pack glued to the back portion of the case. Not impressed at all for something something that cost in excess of $400 and is supposed to be water proof.

After completely drying it out I halfway assembled it so I could power it on, and thankfully it is fully functional, including the screen now. Since the only way to seal it is with silicone, I will be putting a good bead on it as I completely reassemble it. If you have one, you may want to do this before you get water in it.

Yep, Sandwhich bag over the unit when it rains. I have yet to get 2 years out of one.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Ha. Mine must be a champ. 3 years two boats and ice fishing. Never take off the boat even trailering when down pooring and I fish when I can not fair weather. But thanks for the heads up
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Haven't taken mine apart but was surprised at the sloppy silicone job on the unit.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rampaage View Post
    Just want to make other aware of it in case this happens to you.

I finished a tournament in the rain this w/e and went to turn off my H2 and the screen was blank and there was obvious water penetration. The unit was still emitting sound but I could not read the screen.

I powered it off and later removed it from my boat. I put it my truck the next couple of days while it was outside hoping the heat would dry it out. It somewhat did but there was still moisture showing in it. The unit is out of warranty so I decided to take it apart to see if I could get it dried out completely before plugging back in. So what I found was that there was no rubber seal like I was expecting, but just lame-ass attempt at putting silicone where the two halves snap together and then a desiccant pack glued to the back portion of the case. Not impressed at all for something something that cost in excess of $400 and is supposed to be water proof.

After completely drying it out I halfway assembled it so I could power it on, and thankfully it is fully functional, including the screen now. Since the only way to seal it is with silicone, I will be putting a good bead on it as I completely reassemble it. If you have one, you may want to do this before you get water in it.
    Send me a text and let's get that head unit replaced. You are correct there should be no way water gets in that head unit. I do not want you without your unit in a tournament if something happened to it again.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatjohn View Post
    Send me a text and let's get that head unit replaced. You are correct there should be no way water gets in that head unit. I do not want you without your unit in a tournament if something happened to it again.
    Service with a smile right there....good stuff!!!!

7. Member
    4 years out of mine but mine did have moisture in it at one time. I took it apart and sealed it and placed a small silica bag in it.

John will take care of you. They some of the best support now that he is involved.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Nice work!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089