Thread: Windows ?

Post Windows ?

I'm in the process of building a new home. Is there really a big difference in windows from a local lumber yard compared to a window shop? If so, what do I need to look for? Seems like everyone I talk to about their windows, theirs are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    I'm in the process of building a new home. Is there really a big difference in windows from a local lumber yard compared to a window shop? If so, what do I need to look for? Seems like everyone I talk to about their windows, theirs are the best.
    no

3. Banned
    What ever you do DON'T use Pella products.

Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    What ever you do DON'T use Pella products.
    What's the reason for your opinion? We used Pella on 2 different homes and were very pleased

5. Member
    I want a good window, just don't want to pay for a good sells pitch due to my ignorance.

We are gonna build soon and I was told a good foundation good windows and a good roof are the things you do not skimp on.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

I know slightly more than nothing about windows, but if they're anything like most every other manufactured "thing" out there, the brand name ones are exactly the same as the ones without brand names. Heck, they might even be made side-by-side in the same factory and just have different stickers put on them. You pay for the advertising of that brand name.

To be fair, and I'm playing devil's advocate to my previous point here, you also sometimes pay for the resale value and warranty that comes along with that brand name. On the warranty point - remember that a lifetime warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on if the manufacturer or company selling it isn't around any more to cover it. My parents have a giant window in their front room that cost north of $4k to put in (compared to north of $6k from Anderson or Pella for a window with equal specs)...it started leaking and the company that made it is no longer around. Too bad that it had a lifetime warranty. That's not to say that all "off brand" windows would have that issue, just an example of what can happen.

So the resale and warranty that actually means something are the two things are what would make me lean towards a name brand if I were going to do it. I think the decision ultimately comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Make sure they are Low-E and you will be happy.

9. Member
    Low e and a good installer over priced or the best windows out there are worthless if installed poorly

I worked a window company for close to 34 years, look for low e rating, hardware on the window itself, and how the flange runs around the window for a good seal to the house.

I sell and design custom window packages for all types of homes. If possible get them with argon gas and at min low-e hp. If you can get them in your area check out Ply Gem windows argon gas comes standard with these windows I've put these in my own home and love them and they are about 75% of our business. Good luck.

12. Member
    I really like a good vinyl-clad wood window.

Vinyl-clad - almost maintenance free on outside and nice looking wood on inside.

13. Member
    ^ I would get a full width jamb . Then you can trim it like the old windows with a stool and apron. I myself have never cared for the picture frame look

I replaced every window with Anderson's. Paid for themselves in savings on utility bills.

Friend of mine in Colorado replaced several large windows made by a Canadian company, expensive, but very energy efficient.

15. Member
    Thanks for the pointers. I appreciate all the comments.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    What's the reason for your opinion? We used Pella on 2 different homes and were very pleased
    I have dealt with Pella over about a 20 year period. The architect we used insisted on using them. The failure rate for their door is about 80% over a 10 year period, and some fail within just a few years. The cladding sometimes comes flashed in the wrong direction so the water runs right into door and rots it out. We just replaced about a dozen doors in a house last year. Some of the replacement doors are already showing signs of failure. The window failure is not quite as high...maybe around 30-40% for the same reasons. Their customer service is just as bad as the Products they produce. I could fill 3 or 4 pages here with stories but I don't feel like reliving all the bad experiences. We're talking houses in the 6 to $10,000,000 range. I'm retired now and these Pella products are still causing me problems as I try to help past customers with the replacements.

I will add that I don't go out of my way to bash products i'm unhappy with but when it comes to Pella the gloves come off.

17. Member
    Go for a good window with low u-value/high r value. windows are all about thermal transmittance and are basically treated as an unprotected opening in terms of heat loss. get ones with a good resistance to heat loss/heat gain and you will be fine. I tend to stay away from ones with nail fins, as flashing them can be messed up. the best way to make sure they dont leak is to wrap the window with a blueskin or bituminous membrane around the perimeter and shed the water to the outside. you could also install a pan flashing on top for an added layer of protection. this should be done on any window.

18. Member
    As always, a lot of useful information on this site.