Turning Point Props

A few weeks ago I nailed a large rock with my prop and broke the drive shaft in my lower unit. After getting a replacement rebuilt lower I decided to switch from a Stainless Steel prop to Aluminum (my home lake has MANY rocky areas)
    My original prop was a Quicksilver 14.25x21 and I could only get 4,800 rpms and 47 mph(gps) with my 135 Black Max (30 year old motor) I researched a lot of possible replacements and decided to check out Turning Point Hustler.
    They use a squeeze cast to form their props, a process similar to how we forge aluminum parachute hardware at work so I know the parts are tough.
    I went with a 14.25x19 and my RPM's are now 5,300 and I can just break 50.3 mph (gps) I am VERY satisfied with the new proformance, so I would highly recomend to anyone with an older boat looking for an inexpensive upgrade to try out one of these props.
    I'd agree with you , but then we would both be wrong

There is a prop section and a boat setup area where you may get a lot of responses
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I keep a cheap aluminum prop and nut and cotter pin in my boat. Also keep a TM prop and pin and locknut as well.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Member
    I've often thought an aluminum prop would protect the lower unit gears and shafts much better than a stainless steel one.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I've often thought an aluminum prop would protect the lower unit gears and shafts much better than a stainless steel one.
    I think you are right. I think it is a tradeoff though. Having a prop that will trash before lower unit damage is one thing but I think the stainless will hold it's specs better ( no flexing ) resulting in better overall performance. Of course I am just theorizing.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I think you are right. I think it is a tradeoff though. Having a prop that will trash before lower unit damage is one thing but I think the stainless will hold it's specs better ( no flexing ) resulting in better overall performance. Of course I am just theorizing.
    I have been told that many times. Must be something to it.
    Hi Mike.

I had a Turning point prop on my old tracker, it worked well.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Yes, you can consider an aluminum prop as "sacrificial" to protect you lower unit. What I wanted to point out was this particular brand of aluminum propeller did not sacrifice any performance, when in fact it was an improvement.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkahuna19 View Post
    Yes, you can consider an aluminum prop as "sacrificial" to protect you lower unit. What I wanted to point out was this particular brand of aluminum propeller did not sacrifice any performance, when in fact it was an improvement.
    I understand what you are wanting to point out but I don't think it's a good example. The brand you list may be a fine built prop. I have no experience with them. But in your post you
    say the original pitch was a 21 and the Turning Point was a 19. The pitch difference is your improvement, not the brand, even though that brand may in fact be a fine prop.
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I understand what you are wanting to point out but I don't think it's a good example. The brand you list may be a fine built prop. I have no experience with them. But in your post you
    say the original pitch was a 21 and the Turning Point was a 19. The pitch difference is your improvement, not the brand, even though that brand may in fact be a fine prop.
    Yes, you are correct. The pitch change had the biggest affect on performance. What I failed to convey was going from SS to aluminum with the change in pitch, I did not expect to gain as much performance as I did.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkahuna19 View Post
    Yes, you are correct. The pitch change had the biggest affect on performance. What I failed to convey was going from SS to aluminum with the change in pitch, I did not expect to gain as much performance as I did.
    It's all good. I'm running a 26 right now and should be running a 25. It won't wind up as tight and speed is lower.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. Banned
    Logs /whole trees and rocky river bottoms have been the demise of many a prop for me....worst one, I sheared the drive shaft in the bearing on the bottom of the head,had to pull head on river bank and swap over to jet...600 miles from town, sad stuff....