Thread: BBC app?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BBC app?

I'm sure I'm not the first to post this but a BBC app would be awesome!

2. Member
    As long as it isn't sponsored by Ranger Boats, nothing pisses people off more than slow apps

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    As long as it isn't sponsored by Ranger Boats, nothing pisses people off more than slow apps
    Wow it never stops!!

4. Member
    nope- will always have guys whose only purpose is to come on here and hopefully troll up some trouble instead of contributing some info to the post . Lots of unemployed amateur comedians I guess

5. Member
    Does anyone know why there isn't an app? This website is loaded with people

I read where the Koreans are Beta testing one now. Once the bugs are worked out should be available on at the App Store soon.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

7. Member
    Sweet thanks

8. Banned
    That was uncalled for sir!!!!!

9. Member
    I think we already have one. It's called a smart phone with internet access. You're welcome
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

Apps like that aren't easy to put together, especially one for something as immense as BBC. This is on top of needing to make it for at least two different formats - Apple devices and Android devices, and getting it approved in each app store. If the board was on one of the major message board formats it could work with "Tapatalk" or something like that, but it's not. Migrating it over to another format would be quite a job at this point (not mentioning the mass confusion when layouts and commands completely change). Creating an app would likely be an even bigger undertaking.

Maybe an easier thing would be to make a "mobile version" of the site that would work a little better on a small screen, but I don't think that'd be as easy as it sounds either. Essentially you'd be looking at a complete site redesign. The simple way to do that when starting something from scratch is to use a Wordpress (or equivalent) base and build the site with a theme that's designed to be "responsive" (i.e. it checks the resolution of the screen it's being viewed on and kicks out a view that's optimized for that resolution), but again, that'd be quite the undertaking for something like BBC that's already established and that has so much information stored on it already. Again, this isn't mentioning the layout and command changes that would necessarily have to go along with it. Those sites that operate off "themes" also tend to be much slower in my experience, particularly under heavy traffic, due to all the redirects and meshes between "apps" that happen to make everything pretty.

The BBC layout is classic and minimalist which some may not like as much, but it's FAST. That's really important for the volume of traffic we have here. It's also stable, as evidenced by the fact that we're all still here talking about the attack that happened just hours ago. If it ain't broke....
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    That was uncalled for sir!!!!!
    Agreed but you gotta give it to him, it was clever.

I 'm certain it was a joke. Proud Ranger owners make the same joke all the time - I know I do, and I love my Ranger. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if glfgd82 is a Ranger owner himself.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Apps like that aren't easy to put together, especially one for something as immense as BBC.
    The scooter forum I'm a member of (115k members) uses Tapatalk.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
    The scooter forum I'm a member of (115k members) uses Tapatalk.
    Right, but Tapatalk works with message boards that operate off of standardized message board "software" (for lack of a better term). PhpBB is the most common one. As best I can tell, BBC does not use one of those standardized formats or "softwares" and so Tapatalk wouldn't just up and work, at least not with a lot of tweaking and redesign.

I think another issue is that due to the name that I suspect must make hackers think they are destroying a set of boards affiliated with the British Broadcasting Corporation, Bass Boat Central sees more than its fair share of attacks from hackers. When you start letting third parties have access to administration (Tapatalk would have to have a backdoor in this case), you're making yourself more vulnerable.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

15. Member

I've also just found that BBC actually DOES have a mobile site. There's a link at the very bottom of the page that says "BBC Boards Mobile" that will put the boards into a format that works much better on mobile phone. This doesn't happen automatically like it might on a responsive site (or at least doesn't for my iPhone), but there is at least a mobile site that would make reading and posting from a mobile device easier.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

17. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Mobile site happens automatically for me. Saved the BBC to my home screen and stay logged on.

When you log out or clear history you have to re enter log on info and select mobile.

Yeah, I should've said it doesn't happen automatically until after you click for it to be the mobile site. It will do it automatically afterwards unless you physically choose to go back to the full site or clear out internet data. Good call!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

19. Member
    Thread Winner!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Right, but Tapatalk works with message boards that operate off of standardized message board "software" (for lack of a better term). PhpBB is the most common one. As best I can tell, BBC does not use one of those standardized formats or "softwares" and so Tapatalk wouldn't just up and work, at least not with a lot of tweaking and redesign.
    I have no idea. I was just showing that the number of members (size) isn't a problem.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast