Power pole mounting height.

Just added a second pole to my Skeeter 20i and it seems like I am getting extra drag on the holeshot now, Is it possible I have the brackets mounted to low and they are catching too much water? Is there a proper or recommended mounting height from the pole to the bottom of the pad or a measurement that Powerpole uses? They are 8 foot Pro Series poles if that makes any difference.
    Thank You

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    We like to set them initially so that the bottom of the pole is even with the bottom of the jackplate this is a good starting point, if you seem to have drag raise them up an inch at a time till you notice a difference ( if it is indeed drag). Did you seem to have drag with 1 pole? Not sure why adding a second pole at the same height as the first would now be causing drag, may just be the little bit of extra weight from the second pole is effecting your holeshot. May require a slight jackplate adjustment, going up a 1/4 inch may help.

3. Member
    Ok I will check and see what the actual height is in comparison to the jackplate. I cant give a solid answer on if it felt like it had drag with just one pole, when I bought it it had a single pole on it so that's the only way ive ever driven it but adding the second pole definitely seems to have slowed down the holeshot.

Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    We like to set them initially so that the bottom of the pole is even with the bottom of the jackplate this is a good starting point, if you seem to have drag raise them up an inch at a time till you notice a difference ( if it is indeed drag). Did you seem to have drag with 1 pole? Not sure why adding a second pole at the same height as the first would now be causing drag, may just be the little bit of extra weight from the second pole is effecting your holeshot. May require a slight jackplate adjustment, going up a 1/4 inch may help.
    Kevin, could you expand on "bottom of pole even with bottom of jackplate"? It sounds simple when I read it, but looking at my setup - do you mean bottom of the actual pole, or bottom of the pole bracket, or bottom of the jackplate bracket, etc? Probably a dumb question but I wanted to be sure, b/c my setup is no where near that - in fact mine are actually pretty much mounted as high as they can go in the adjustment slots - not sure if this was setup by Skeeter at factory, or if previous owner set them. There looks to be about 3" of adjustment available. TBH, 3" isn't going to make them clear my garage door, but I do want to be sure I have correct mounting/setup.

I'll be on the water this weekend, and have been trying to figure out how to view them while on plane (to see if digging) - haven't really come up with anything yet lol.

EDIT - looking at a few Skeeter Pics, I suspect it was set this way from the factory. Likely due to the location of bracket in relation to the Skeeter sponsons. It appears the previous owner might have found this out the hard way as there is a gelcoat ding pretty much in line with the bottom of the bracket on the starboard sponson which I am in the process of repairing, so he may have lowered it at some point in the past, either nicking it as part of the process of adjusting it, or had it set so close that bracket vibration might have tagged the gelcoat.

You'd think the PP recommended bracket would have been designed to avoid this, though?

Even with the "keep it off the sponson" restriction, there appears to be a little room to slide it down, maybe 1.5", possibly 2" but it would be close - but not sure if worth the hassle if it doesn't gain me anything.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 07-26-2022 at 06:32 AM.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Slide that bracket down so the top of your adapter plate bracket is even with the top part of the metal on your jackplate this is your ideal setting (approx an inch lower) . We find on most installs ,(using the correct adapter plate designed for that particular boat jackplate combo) we slide them up all the way and then drop them down bout 1 to 1.5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Slide that bracket down so the top of your adapter plate bracket is even with the top part of the metal on your jackplate this is your ideal setting (approx an inch lower) . We find on most installs ,(using the correct adapter plate designed for that particular boat jackplate combo) we slide them up all the way and then drop them down bout 1 to 1.5 inches.
    Will do - thanks!

Ok dropped them down a bit as suggested - no issues plenty of clearance over the sponsons. Also lined them up a bit better as well while I was at it.