Question Treager type pits

Morning.....I normally cook brisket on my Egg but heading to Canada in September and have access to a Treager type grill, any tips (water pans, cook times etc.) Thanks.......E

2. Member
    I have a pellet grill...It will hold a very steady temp and have lighter smoke than charcoal or stick burners. I like a chef's blend of pellets...oak, cherry and pecan being my favorite

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

3. Member
    We have a Treager and we like Alder, very mild smoke. Which is what both the wife and I like.

4. Member
    Do y'all use a water pan......do you need it?.......Thanks.......E

5. Member
    There are 1,000 discussions on water pans. They're used in vertical smokers mostly to regulate the temperature. I only use a water pan in my stick burner, and then only because I think it helps keep the wood ash down (even this is not proven...only my OCD because I've always have done it). I've not used one in my pellet ever. My suggestion is try a cook with it, then the next time you cook, try it without and see what you think. Either way it's all going to be good :).

It's proven no flavor comes from evaporation (beer can chicken is just a waste of a good beer) in your smoker....so save your money and only use water

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

6. Member
    One thing you might want to bring is a cheap oven thermometer to set on the grate next to your meat. I have experience differing temperatures than what the display says.

7. Member
    Good idea.....Thanks all.....E