Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Method To Measuring The Prop To Pad (BuzzB8)

These photos are great! However, I just want to make sure I do understand...? All items must be level e.g. Boat, Motor, concrete floor?

Thanks.

2. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar

Re: Method To Measuring The Prop To Pad (FlashsSuperBEE)

Correct. As level a surface as you can find.

3. Member

Actually it doesnt have to be level just constant. Imagine your boat on the end of a see saw sitting level then move it up or down and no matter where you stop it the distance from the floor to the pad and floor to center of the prop shaft is always the same. You just need to make sure the place you do it is flat and if you are doin it in a driveway thats at an incline make sure the boat and motor are on the incline

Jimmy

1990 Stratos 201 Pro 1990 Evinrude 200XP

Model: VE200SLESE Serial:#G02530555

I don\'t need to be the fastest guy on the lake, Just have the heaviest bag at the scale.
    As long as it will haul me and my Limit to the scales it\'s a great boat.

4. Moderator
    is there any way to make the pics larger? i can't really see them to well.
    thanks

Re: (JeffA)

thank you that clears it up alot..need to be a sticky on the main page

6. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar

Re: (ragin_cajun92)

Sorry, that's not my call to make. I think this is way easier than using some 4 foot long straight-edge as suggested on other boards.

7. Member

Re: (BuzzB8)

I have a setup question if you do NOT have a jackplate. Has anyone experience difficulty in raising your motor to the desired setup without one? I have a 225 evinrude, on a 20' 409t Javelin (93 model). The motor is mounted as low as possible. Using the directions on the first page, I figured up my dist. to pad at 5" currently. I was just wondering if you can have better holeshot, speed etc, without the jackplate. I'm trying not to install jackplate, I'm on cable steering, and want to invest in a new prop, so I have limited funds at this time.
    2019 Bass Cat Cougar. 250 Mercury pro XS

8. Member

What props are you running? I have been running a 23p trophy plus with no problems but no speed! Switched to a 26p trophy plus and have major set up problems, no hole shot, no water pressure, once on plane wild chine walk at 70! Any advice would be appreciated .

9. Member

Re: (randybenham)

You don't have much to work with without a jack plate. Estimate what your prop to pad would be if you change mounting holes. I am thinking you will then be too high but let's take a look...

5 inches is pretty low!

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by ragin_cajun92 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">thank you that clears it up alot..need to be a sticky on the main page</td></tr></table>

"Larry, Get the Net!!!!!"

http://www.mareinc.com/

11. Member

So.... what happens if you cant move the motor any lower to get the correct length below pad since your trailer sits low to the ground? lol

Re: (crizzel)

Once the first measurement is complete you can lower the jack on your tonque all the way to the ground which will raise the back end of the boat allowing you to make the motor as level as you can....
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

13. Member

Re: (Jay)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Jay &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote"> Once the first measurement is complete you can lower the jack on your tonque all the way to the ground which will raise the back end of the boat allowing you to make the motor as level as you can.... </td></tr></table>

That's NOT what you want to do! Before you start, drive your trailer up on some ramps (like for changing the oil in a car) or uses some 4" x 4" wood blocks and drive your trailer up on them. Once you have leveled the HULL (like in the very first picture) you do not want to change that level till done with ALL measuring and adjusting.

14. Member

Re: Method To Measuring The Prop To Pad (FlashsSuperBEE)

Tom my dad was with 10th Group for YEARS!

9.4 Mass State record 2011

15. Member
    Doesn't look like anyone is monitoring this post, but will ask my silly question anyway.
    I have a 2004 Stratos PRO 275 XL and am using Johnson 90HP engine. I do not have a jack plate. Do I need one? On such a lower power engine, does it make any difference on these instructions for set up of 'on pad' for my old/little rig?
    Well, hopefully someone is monitoring this and will answer...
    thanks
    Lee in Texas

16. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    Tough question, Lee. I don't know if a jackplate will make much of a difference on your boat/engine. I would think that setting the engine back and raising it might give you the option of changing to a slightly bigger prop. Then again, it will change the balance which might make your boat slower or handle differently, maybe cause it to porpoise in mid-range speeds. Maybe someone with a similar boat and engine has tried it and will answer with their results.

17. Member
    Hi Jerry, ok. Thank you for your honest reply. I thought this was perhaps a 'dead' thread on the forums as it looks like no one has replied or posted in a while.
    Your answer is honest, I appreciate your candor. I don't really think I have anything of significance to gain. Rarely do I max out the RPM on my engine as I just do not have the need to.
    The boat was a repossession and somewhere from the repossession, the dealer, and auction it sat unused for a very long time resulting in dirt/grease/grime producing tough steering from the cables and the same with the cables in the Motor Guide trolling motor. I am replacing the trolling motor, that solves that and have 'cleaned', re-greased, cleaned and re greased again and again on my steering control arm to the engine to help with the very stiff steering. Failing that, I am going to install or have installed hydraulic steering assist.
    The boat seems to handle ok (please bear in mind this is my very first bass boat so I do not have a guide on marker to judge things by), under 0 to 2,000 RPMs. Needless to say, my 'boating skills' or lack of need some 'refinement'. Under higher RPMS or MAX throttle, the steering is VERY stiff- VERY. This bothers me a lot.
    Thanks for your prompt reply and very candid answer. I have no plans to buy a larger engine, so I do not think I will be adding a 'jack plate'.
    r/
    Lee in Texas

18. Member
    steering being very stiff is probably more that you dont have the engine trimmed correctly for the speed your running. If it steers just fine at low speeds it should steer just like that at high speeds if you have it setup right

2001 Javelin Renegade 19
    175 Merc

19. Member
    Lee I used to run a 17ft bass boat with a 120hp motor on it. When I bought the boat new I had them put a Jack plate on it. So I couldn't really say that it made a difference until I changed from an aluminum prop don't remember the pitch to a stainless with a 22p. When I changed props I had to raise the motor quite a bit because in idle with prop engaged the motor shook real bad and while running it was hard to steer. And if I let go of the wheel it would turn the boat to the left way faster than it needed too. Scared the crap out of me when it happened all of a sudden I was going back the way I came from.

You may be fine without a jack plate. Even with jack plate on my old setup with cable steering if it wasn't trimmed properly it was harder to steer while trying to go faster.

Try this trim down like normal while taking off. After you plane out trim up until u feel the steering loosen up. keep trimming until u feel the boat lose bite in the water it should kick to the left a little. After you feel that just bump the trim back down a couple times. That should help. If not you may need to raise the motor.

09 Stratos 294xl Evolution
    200hp Yamaha V-Max HPDI Series 2
    26 Fury Prop

20. Member
    I'm fixing to start trying to get mine at the optimal spot I've got a 26p tempest plus, I am starting at 3" bp. Does anyone have any experience with this setup. The boat is 09 294xle with 200 vmax hpdi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast