Question Wider garage door opening

Well I figured I may try here.

I have a basement garage that has a 9 x 7 garage door. I currently own a range r91 and am having to be very careful when I push the boat into the garage. I had an idea on expanding to a 10x10 door. The ceiling in my garage is 12 foot high and the garage is about 13 foot wide. Has anyone ever done such a thing and any suggestions or recommendations? I will most likely buy a new boat and would hate to tare the fenders off. I can post pics in here if anyone has any questions.

2. Member
    Can you see from the inside of the garage what is currently above the ohd opening? A picture would be helpful if the garage is not finished inside...

I had the same problem and had to widen the door. You have to put a new header in etc. I wasn't too confident so paid a contractor to do it. Was about $1400 including the new door

4. Member
    You'll need a longer (and probably beefier, dur to the increased span) header, per Astro-T. Unless you're garage is on a flush slab, the raised concrete frostwall will have to be chipped back and the slab repaired. The job will involve modifications to your siding, interior wall finish, OH door safety wiring and (any) ceiling finish.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro-T View Post
    I had the same problem and had to widen the door. You have to put a new header in etc. I wasn't too confident so paid a contractor to do it. Was about $1400 including the new door
    ^^^^ did this!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

Post some pics and I'll try and help you the best I can.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

7. Member
    Without pics or your input...I cannot help...it is dependent upon local code when the house was built to determine whether or not you already have a lvl beam or 2x10 or 2x12 doubled up running the full length of the garage or just to your jacks and king studs.... at present....which would make things really simple....or more complicated... You want help...I need info... in my state of Georgia currently they make you run an lvl from corner to corner regardless of the width of the opening...

8. Member
    I am thinking if it's a basement garage and has cinder block walls he will have to replace the lintel above the door. A lot of work if it is .