1999 Johnson 225ho

I got a 1999 johnson 225ho the problem I'm having is first thing when you back it into the water off the trailer it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to actually get the boat to start running but once you get it start running it's good the rest of the day to start and stop and also once you're running down the lake I can only get 4,200 RPMs out of it running about 45 miles an hour can't get it no higher than that. does anyone know what might be causing that problem I'm running a 25 pitch raker prop 3 blade on it

Nature of the Beast, keep engine up when dunking in lake. Don't force water up exhaust pipe.. Back Pressure... then lower it after off trailer, keep the motor tilted up so the exhaust ports stay just above water line. It's still going to be finicky on the cold start, squeeze gas primer bulb before each start, and let it warm up to OP temp before take off. your next question will leave for the others to answer

3. Member
    you may have a cylinder not getting spark.how many volts are you getting when you hit the gas.ive owned two of those motors a they didn't give me problems starting.i would take it to shop to see whats wrong with it.do a compression test first.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I have a 2001 225 HO and it starts the first time, every time. Make sure the motor is trimmed so the exhaust ports are out of the water as Bass Aholic says, primer bulb is firm and throttle slightly advanced. Turn the key to on and depress the ignition key. Crank the motor and it should fire right off, if not repeat. As soon as it starts "feather" the ignition key until the motor warms up. Remove the airbox cover and apply full throttle with the motor NOT running and observe the throttle plates in the carbs, the bottom two are connected via a coupler to the upper throttle shafts and can loosen not opening fully. Also on the starboard side throttle body, there is a clear roller over a hard black plastic roller that needs to contact the timing arm linkage. If it is missing the throttle plates won't open fully. As Juan says, check compression also.

5. Member
    2000 225 ho.

If the primer bulb is firm it starts instantly. I dont even need to advance the throttle when cold.

I will say it smokes like a freight train on a cold start though.