Repowering an X19

I've got an 2005 X19 that has a 2003 Yamaha 150 HPDI. I've been having problems non stop and I'm tired of chasing solutions. I've spent more than enough trying to get things to work properly and am moving into the early stages of repowering. So with that being said...if it were you guys what would you go with and why. I know that's a very broad statement but I don't have a preference or loyalty to a brand. I'm just looking for the pro's and cons like warranty, price, value?

2. Member
    I just repowered less than 2 months ago. I went with the Mercury 150 4stroke. So far I love it. Price wise it was cheaper than a SHO or Etec. It's also lighter and very low, easy maintenance. They've also been known for their reliability. I like the fact that I don't have to buy 2 stroke oil. My last motor was also a Merc so the gauges and controls matched up. That is definitely a cost you don't want to overlook. I also have several Mercury shops near me if I ever need repair work.
    2008 XPRESS H18
    2017 MERC 150 4S

Merc 175 pro xs.

4. Member
    If you don't care about getting every last mph out of the boat, get a F150 or 200. Rock solid and controls should be plug and play. Jethro could verify that on the controls. A SHO should be in my future when/if things get better around here. Your decision between the 2 types of engines but the F series is reliable. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

When it comes time to repower I plan on going with a F200... Just heard a lot of good things about those motors.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

6. Member
    First off, I hate to hear nobody has been able to straighten out your HPDI. The 2.6L HPDI has a reputation for being one of their better motors made. I had a 175 once and liked it so much on the back of my Skeeter that when I bought my X19 I took the F115 off and went looking for this 2.6L VMax HPDI 200.

If I was going to repower again, these 2 motors are what I'd look for:
    200 SHO ......... b/c it's the fastest 200 and it's flashable to 300hp. Negative, it's expensive.

200 Pro XS ...... b/c it posts top end numbers right there with the 200 SHO by others reported numbers. Negative, it's almost as expensive as the SHO, and as expensive if the dealer requires a complete re-rigging. As for going to a Merc. Someone on here recently said that they swapped from a Yamaha to a Merc and that their dealer had it swapped over extremely quick. Granted all of his gauges were the normal ones, not Yamaha digital.

Everything else (motor and HP wise) is a toss up. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go. Based on the speed numbers I've seen others post with the I-4 200, I'd stay away if you think it's going to run speed numbers like a 200 should ..... most of them seem to be in the mid-60's like a good 175 should be.

Keep us posted on what you do.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci