Thread: HDS12 on ZX250

HDS12 on ZX250

Anyone swap out an HDS9 for 12 at the console of new design (2015 or newer) ZX250?
    I'm trying to figure out how much work to install vs going with BBT or Precision Sonar mount.
    Skeeter says it will fit by simply cutting the plate that screws into the console - no fiberglass cutting necessary.
    however, looking at the hole in the console vs Lowrance flush mounting template, it looks like the hole in the dash needs to be made bigger by about an inch vertically and horizontally.
    Before getting too deep into this, anyone who has experience they could share would be most helpful.
    Thanks!

2. Member
    I have the same question as Lowrance is offering me a 12 (plus I pay some cash) as a replacement for my often serviced HDS 9. The 12 doesn't look like it would fit in the console without some fiberglass removal.

3. Member
    I had to cut both metal and fiberglass to fit a 12 in a 2015. I would like to get a BBT or PSM at some time just because the bottom of the screen starts to hide behind the wheel. Not a hard job, just take your time.

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply, as I expected yet Skeeter claims it will fit in the existing hole. Maybe I should straight for BBT or Precision Sonar and gain the benefit of tilting and the wheel not getting the way.

5. Member
    I just put my 12 on a Precision Mount and love it. It was hard to see behind the steering wheel and the PM brought it up just enough to see a lot better.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLSkeeter View Post
    Thanks for the reply, as I expected yet Skeeter claims it will fit in the existing hole. Maybe I should straight for BBT or Precision Sonar and gain the benefit of tilting and the wheel not getting the way.
    I have not looked behind a 2016 &17 and they could be already cut out, an 18 only requires a swap out of the units.

7. Member
    I'm surprised Skeeter told you to cut the dash. When I bought my 2017 zx200 I wanted to upgrade to dual units front and back. Once we (dealer and I) realized the Elite ti did not have side mount screws, we nixed that idea. I bought a boat in a box and had them install an HDS 9 in the dash. They wouldn't even attempt to cut it saying they had tried too many times and it always got buggered up. They just ordered me a new faceplate already manufactured for the larger size.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
    I'm surprised Skeeter told you to cut the dash. When I bought my 2017 zx200 I wanted to upgrade to dual units front and back. Once we (dealer and I) realized the Elite ti did not have side mount screws, we nixed that idea. I bought a boat in a box and had them install an HDS 9 in the dash. They wouldn't even attempt to cut it saying they had tried too many times and it always got buggered up. They just ordered me a new faceplate already manufactured for the larger size.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have the HDS 9 flush mounted from the factory. I'm upgrading to an HDS12 and thought I would flush mount for now (to save a few bucks then later add something like a Precision mount). Skeeter said all I had to do was cut the black plate that the HDS is mounted to, the plate then is screwed to the dash with 4 screws, they said the hole in the dash itself was big enough - no fiberglass cutting necessary.

9. Member
    That's what I was referring to. My guys ordered the new black plate and said it would lose its look (anodized or whatever it's called) once you try to cut it. They just ordered a new faceplate from the factory.

10. Member
    My HDS12 on the console of mine is flush mounted.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLSkeeter View Post
    Anyone swap out an HDS9 for 12 at the console of new design (2015 or newer) ZX250?
    I'm trying to figure out how much work to install vs going with BBT or Precision Sonar mount.
    Skeeter says it will fit by simply cutting the plate that screws into the console - no fiberglass cutting necessary.
    however, looking at the hole in the console vs Lowrance flush mounting template, it looks like the hole in the dash needs to be made bigger by about an inch vertically and horizontally.
    Before getting too deep into this, anyone who has experience they could share would be most helpful.
    Thanks!
    I had to cut my fiberglass. Used a jig saw - not easy, but doable. Dremel probably would have been easier. Makes a big mess, either way. And, would have had to cut the metal plate, as well. So, I installed the Precision Sonar mount with dual 9"s. The Precision Sonar mount is pretty nice. Because the bottom of the console is sealed up, its a little difficult to bolt-up - but, doable. If you need to put a spacer on the steering wheel (and, you probably will) be careful when removing the hex screws that hold the steering wheel on. Godzilla put them on at the factory and they are easily stripped. Good luck!!

12. Member
    Major shout out to Randy at Precision Sonar!!!! Decided to go with his Smart bracket for the console to mount an HDS12 - Wow, such an improvement over the flush mounted HDS9, couldn't be more pleased.

pic?

14. Precision Sonar
    [Q UOTE=Stingray23;8689113]pic?[/QUOTE]

Our Precision Sonar console mounts DO NOT use the factory gimbal mounts. We manufacture a custom mounting system that features our 1/4" thick SmartBrackets and heavy duty discs as well as a big water console plate.

Our mounting systems allows the sonar unit to be tilted to reduce unwanted screen glare and our 1/4" thick SmartBrackets eliminate vibration and are made to withstand extreme water conditions.

check us out at precisionsonar.com

Attached Images Attached Images

Precision Sonar & Outdoors
    Home of the Patented Smart Bracket Console Mounting System
    email: ryank@precisionsonar.com
    phone: 270-703-6133

Thanks, but I wanted to see the HDS12 mounted on his skeeter.

16. Member
    I will post mine once the HDS12 gets here, probably a week from today or so.

17. Precision Sonar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingray23 View Post
    Thanks, but I wanted to see the HDS12 mounted on his skeeter.
    HDS 12 Mounted on a Precision Sonar Smart Bracket Console Mount. FYI ... FX & ZX are the same console mount.

Attached Images Attached Images

Precision Sonar & Outdoors
    Home of the Patented Smart Bracket Console Mounting System
    email: ryank@precisionsonar.com
    phone: 270-703-6133

I love the Precision mount on mine.... Got the original 9 and a non touch 10 mounted side by side.... Never an issue with rough water.... Allows for tilt and the steering wheel doesn't get in the way.... Great product...

If you do go in dash you will have to trim the existing hole.... Harry actually had to tilt just a smidge on one he installed at the dealer... Not noticeable to see but had to in order to get it in the dash...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

19. Member
    Randy, beat me to it, those pics are of my newly mounted HDS12 - love it!!!! No steering wheel spacer needed as I tilt the wheel down. Now, I can reach the screen without letting go of the steering wheel.
    Thanks again to Randy and Martha who were incredibly responsive, despite my dumb questions!!!