Thread: Newbie

Question Newbie

My brother wants me to take up golf so we can get some exercise walking the course. I've only farted around on a driving range and never took it up. Now that I'm older and wiser, i think it makes sense for me to get fitted with some decent clubs so I don't have the wrong stuff to start with and get frustrated. My brother thinks it's a waste of money, but I look at it like I do with my fishing rods. I tried many brands and styles over the years, and finally settled on what I like. What say you?
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    You can try different clubs at the driving range. Have the pro look at your swing and suggest a set that fits your swing profile.
    Please release me,let me go.

Fitted clubs make sense if your golf swing is set already. If you're just starting and merely hacking away at the driving range, fitted clubs will do you no good at all.

Spend time and money on lessons first.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    Fitted clubs make sense if your golf swing is set already. If you're just starting and merely hacking away at the driving range, fitted clubs will do you no good at all.

Spend time and money on lessons first.
    +1

But is it not better to have clubs that fit first? I think I will need a little longer club, and a thicker grip, and maybe even a different lie angle. If those things aren't right from the start won't it cause me problems that I would eventually have to fix?
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

I went through a very detailed fitting and luckily, get to spend time with and around the gentlemen that does the fittings. They have to have something to work with. I played for two years and spent countless hours on the driving range before I did my fitting. You do not need to be PGA caliber to get a fitting, not even close. But, you need to have a somewhat repeatable swing and make consistent contact with the ball.

I would recommend a used set of clubs, some practice time, play some rounds, maybe take a few lessons, then a fitting. Just my two cents.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

Sounds good. I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have a feeling once i get in to this, I'll become a junkie like bass fishing, and will start acquiring new stuff. Please don't tell me there is something called Golf Warehouse.....
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I'd recommend spending the money on lessons first.

Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    I went through a very detailed fitting and luckily, get to spend time with and around the gentlemen that does the fittings. They have to have something to work with. I played for two years and spent countless hours on the driving range before I did my fitting. You do not need to be PGA caliber to get a fitting, not even close. But, you need to have a somewhat repeatable swing and make consistent contact with the ball.

I would recommend a used set of clubs, some practice time, play some rounds, maybe take a few lessons, then a fitting. Just my two cents.
    Yep. Unless you're really tall or really short, a set of off the shelf, used clubs will be fine to learn with. You can get a set of Game improvement irons or super game improvement irons pretty cheap on-line. I would suggest a regular flex club since you're new to the game. Your swing speed will be slower. As stated, if your swing is faulty already, a fitted club isn't going to straighten it out. I would describe fitted clubs as fine tuning an already repeatable golf swing and the key word there is "repeatable".

That's the key to being successful in golf, a swing that's consistent from shot to shot. It can be time consuming to achieve which is why I suggest lessons first.

As someone that used to be a low handicapper way back, the game is a lot more fun when you're actually playing the golf course instead of chasing the ball from one mishit shot to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by yj99t04 View Post
    Sounds good. I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have a feeling once i get in to this, I'll become a junkie like bass fishing, and will start acquiring new stuff. Please don't tell me there is something called Golf Warehouse.....
    Actually, once you've gotten a consistent golf swing and get to the point where you get fitted clubs, you really don't want to start changing equipment.

What you'll actually start doing is fine tuning your game by working on increased distance off the tee, shot shaping, improving your short game around the greens and naturally, putting. In fact, the 2 clubs that probably see the most changes among golfers are drivers and putters. Wholesale changes of equipment in the bag usually don't result in any better score improvements unless the equipment you were using wasn't good to begin with.

Good advice. I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks a lot!
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Just practice at the range. Work on 7 iron down through sand wedge.