I lost my lower unit this past weekend. I noticed last Thursday that it was leaking and so I checked the lower unit fluid and it was full of water. I know that is a seal issue but I put in all new fluid and was hoping to limp through the weekend then have it rebuilt since it was an important club tournament. Short of the story that was a bad idea and now my lower unit is seized.
Due to not wanting to mess with having mine rebuilt in a month, before my next tournament, I am going to buy a new one.
My question is: is there a lower unit specific to bass boats and/or that is better for my application?
My boat is a 1998 TR-20 with a 2000 200 HP Mercury (model 1200473WD), I bought the motor as a trade in for the 175 HP Johnson that was on it when I bought it. Before I had lower unit problems I could only hit 5200 RPMs and 53 mph, I live and fish at 3700'. Is there a prop any of you would recommend? I currently have a 4 blade 24P on it. A brief search would suggest a 25 tempest may be better?
Thanks in advance for the help, I have searched the forums for answers but am having a hard time finding anything beneficial on the lower unit. Feel free to refer me to another thread if it has what I am looking for.