Driving a Cougar

I know this seems like I am beating a dead horse but have a couple of specific questions. First of all, the boat is a 2016 Cougar FTD, 250 ProXS, Atlas hyd plate, new-looking 26 Fury3 prop, 112 Fortrex and 4 lithium batteries (70 pounds TOTAL). I use 12 rods and medium to light in tackle/gear. I am coming out of a PII plus I know how to handle chine walk from previos boats.

The previous owner told me to drop the plate all the way down for hole shot and raise it to "1" once on plane. Once the JP is set then trim to the first line on the trim. I have done this and it runs fine. I have tried up to 4 on the plate and it seems to run better but I have not had the room or conditions to see what this thing will do.

Now for my question for the more experienced BCB drivers. What are your best setups with regard to Atlas plate and trim settings for max speed. Is there a "standard" like there was with my PII (ie set the manual plate flush then +/- 1/4")? What I have read has had the plate at 9 and trimmed up to straight up (neutral) on the gauge. I have also read MANY other setting too.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 08-15-2017 at 03:42 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    Continue to raise motor w jack plate until you lose speed or steering torque is too great for you. My guess is it will be some where between 3 and 6 on atlas gauge. However a lot depends on your load, driving ability, altitude, prop, etc etc.

I agree Ron, there isnt going to be the magic "put the plate here and trim to here" setup (well there is to get 90% out of a boat, but not for that last 10%)... and the answer isnt a huge help, but its like when people say let the fish tell you what they want, to get the most out of a boat you have to be able to feel what she is doing and give her what she wants... just my opinion.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    You have one thing in your advantage . You have a atlas jack plate . I'm running a puma with one . The first thing I do when I get my new boats home is determine where my prop shaft is to the haul . With the atlas plate there is that simple little piece of measuring tape on the inside of the plate that the driver can take a quick look at before taking off. Yes I have the gauge but over time they get out of calibration With the plate . So this is what I do , adjust the plate so you are at 3" below pad to the center of the prop shaft . Then look at the measuring tape ,remember it or mark it on the tape . With a Mercury you will be a 1/4 to 1/2" up or down from there depending on props you prefer or the load of the day . The digital gauge I do use every time . But that piece of tape confirms my setting .

I had a chance to get a better run on her yesterday morning. It seemed to run best at just short of 5 on the JP and just below neutral on the trim. It cruised right at 76 at 5920 with 3/4 fuel, two guys and full gear. Chine walk was very mild and easily prevented.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I'd say your right about there... it'll have a few more in it but not a bunch! Drop it down a little and just a tad more trim. You'll be right at about 78.