Another "identify that lower" thread.

225 Optimax Proxs

1B372422

Can anyone tell me what lower this is?

http://village.photos/images/user/3f...67add248b6.jpg

http://village.photos/images/user/3f...66cc39952b.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Facemelter; 08-15-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Looks like a servicemaster to me...Probably 1:75 ratio.
    /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.htc.sense.browser/files/TMP

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NKY TRITON View Post
    Looks like a servicemaster to me...Probably 1:75 ratio.
    Wrong, It's a Gen 1 Torquemaster

4. Member
    Looks like a Gen 1 TM to me also . Look at pic 2 and the skeg has the swipe /torque tab built in it .

5. Member
    Great threads here from Don on how to identify. Pics showing the fill and drain ports as well as the front leading edge from the side would make identification quite easy.

6. Member
    The info I have off hand is the vent screw is on the port side, and the drain/fill is in behind the prop. I can snap more pics tonight when I get home.

7. Member
    Measure the prop shaft......simple.

8. Banned
    Those water pick up holes on the nose are perfectly located to pick up trash and debries. I always wondered why merc put them there as if there was no other place or better design to keep trash from plugging up everything. I have no idea what LU that is but i dont see a torque tab. Torque tabs are normally on starboard side on a right hand turning motor. This looks more like a slightly bent skeg.

9. Member
    Lol, I'll get some better pics when I get home. I have some left over tape residue on the nose of it that looks like poopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Those water pick up holes on the nose are perfectly located to pick up trash and debries. I always wondered why merc put them there as if there was no other place or better design to keep trash from plugging up everything. I have no idea what LU that is but i dont see a torque tab. Torque tabs are normally on starboard side on a right hand turning motor. This looks more like a slightly bent skeg.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    That is indeed a Gen-1 Torquemaster.

Torque tab is indeed cast into the STB side of the skeg, at the trailing edge.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    In reality, those holes in the nose are less likely to clog with debris than the side ones. A low pressure area forms on the side of the LU and can trap and hold debris, causing overheating. Torque tabs are always on the starboard side. Counter rotation units have a straight skeg.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    Prop shaft. 1.25

Removed prop to install cav ring on Trophy plus. Noticed the odd looking merc racing hub kit that the strips fell off of. Back to the local dealer tomorrow. Some ass lost one of the strips and replaced it with a large cut zip tie. WOW

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Every time I "think" I've seen it all... someone shows me that will never be the case....

Replacement Snubber Strip Kits are available for that hub kit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor