1997 Evinrude 90 SPL Prop Question

I have a 90 HP Evinrude 90 SPL on my 16 ft 1997 legend bass boat that I just purchased. It has a 13 1/2 24p Raker prop. What is the factory prop size for this motor? The boat didn't come with a tach so I don't know how many rpm it's turning but it's slow to plane. Once planed it runs well both my father and I are big men and it consistently runs 40 mph.

I just want to get the boat to plane faster, and want to try a 4 blade Renegade what size do you suggest? Thanks for any info you can provide!

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    When you drop the the pitch size say to a 22 Raker, holeshot will be better but you will loose some top end speed or over rev it. Get a tach first. One of your best tuning tools. 24 Raker is pretty stout for a heavy boat(not saying you 2 are fat ) and having only 90 hp. I would try a 22 pitch Raker. Maybe mess around with engine height and prop to pad setting also if you want to jump deeper into tuning your rig..

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    When you drop the the pitch size say to a 22 Raker, holeshot will be better but you will loose some top end speed or over rev it. Get a tach first. One of your best tuning tools. 24 Raker is pretty stout for a heavy boat(not saying you 2 are fat ) and having only 90 hp. I would try a 22 pitch Raker. Maybe mess around with engine height and prop to pad setting also if you want to jump deeper into tuning your rig..

haha we are fat don't worry lol. I will see if I can get my hands on a 22 P and try it thanks!

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Also seeing you just purchased the boat, I would have a reputable marine shop/tech check it over and insure it is up to snuff. Link and sync/timing/fuel system/spark plugs/basic maint, ect. **invest in an OMC repair and service manual/check stickies up top for more info** Good luck and have fun

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    That motor will run forever if taken care of,,,,,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Also seeing you just purchased the boat, I would have a reputable marine shop/tech check it over and insure it is up to snuff. Link and sync/timing/fuel system/spark plugs/basic maint, ect. **invest in an OMC repair and service manual/check stickies up top for more info** Good luck and have fun
    I did that before purchase, clean bill of health!

this motor starts first turn of the key, and idles perfectly. I am beyond happy with it, just need to get it planing out faster.

ny friend has a 13 1/4 23 P Renegade prop I want to try. Thank that would be a good match?

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It's a 4 blade so that will help with Hole shot and be close in RPMs to the Raker. Need a tach for sure.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    It's a 4 blade so that will help with Hole shot and be close in RPMs to the Raker. Need a tach for sure.

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I was going to suggest the 23 Gade also....you may need the weed ring to keep from blowing out on blast off...

10. Member
    Thanks gentlemen! I will give it a test run and see how it works.

I am going on to grab a Teleflex tach and get it installed. Anything else I need to order with it? Harness anything of that sort?

11. Member
    Just wanted to update got the 23P renegade installed hole shot is very good now! its actually 2 MPH faster too! Very happy with it!

Next thing I am doing is getting the tach installed.

Quote Originally Posted by lillegend View Post
    Just wanted to update got the 23P renegade installed hole shot is very good now! its actually 2 MPH faster too! Very happy with it!

I personally run a 20 n 22 raker on my rig, and a 21 gade. Our boats are similar in size. I turn the gade around 5300-5500 depending on season and amount of fuel. the 22 will turn 5200-5400 and the 20 5400-5600. I'm around 330lbs. Just some food for thought.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lillegend View Post