Need boat advice from the BBC!

Hi All,

I've been trolling for a while and decided I'd better starting posting and asking some questions! :) After renting boats a few times this summer, I think we're going to pull the trigger on one as I know we will use it for at least the next 5 years... Hopefully longer! Plus, with the summer coming to an end, hopefully inventory will go up and prices down.

I think to start, I wan't to go with something moderately priced like a Z522D Comanche or maybe even a 921 PHX... Decent first boat?? Haha, I'm of course joking. My wife would have my you know whats in a glass jar in the fridge.... for me to look at!

I of course want a bass boat and she wants something like a pontoon. A fish and ski is right up our alley. After reading hundreds of reviews and forum threads, I believe the Ranger 210VS or maybe the 180 fits the bill. I'm also considering something like the Triton 190-FS. There are a few of all boats I listed for sale in our area and in our price range ($25K or less). I've read that Champion and Coral are sought-after, but in 4 weeks of looking, I've not seen one for sale. I'm sure if I look long enough, they'll eventually surface.

We have three small children that are 7, 3 and 1 years old. I think we will fish out of it 70% of the time and play the other 30%. I was thinking that the 210 would be perfect and while I prefer the size, I read that a smaller boat may be better for fishing flats, small coves and channels. I want a boat that has storage room for 4-5 rods (room on the deck would be ideal), enough storage for tackle, room for a 9" or larger fish finder on/near the dash and a full front deck or at least the option to purchase one. I know they can be homemade for some boats, but with three little ones and a demanding job, I just don't have the time.

Just wondering what y'alls thoughts are, especially the ones with experience with the above mentioned boats or maybe something that you recommend for our needs.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading y'alls replies.

Never owned a fish and ski type but my friend has a 620 multispecies Ranger and it is really nice and comfortable with windshield and everything thing your looking for just may be too much money not sure. Rangers aren't cheap but will last you for years.
    1990 481V
    2005 195VS Intracoastal (Redfish Edition)
    2015 119C
    Love my Ranger Boats

3. Member
    Are you hitting the Illinois lakes or the Ozark lakes mostly? You might check out a Ranger aluminum deep V model. I just had a friend that got one from Pete at Pro's Choice Marine in Warsaw. He went with the 1780 for the deep V and also pulls a tube with it on LOZ. He loves it and it's a great stable platform for the both the wife and kids as well as fishing.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

4. Member
    Whatever you get make sure to go over really good before taking delivery. Hearing of lots of quality issue on a few of the brands. Good luck!

Kinda like the looks of the triton 220 escape.
    Generally not a fan of triton as I've owned a couple and the ride and handling was sub par and like a lot of manufactures except maybe Charger and Falcon they use too much plastic fluff that ends of fading or breaking. Give me a clean ageless design using fiberglass. I know they are saving labor cost, but when spending over 50 I expect fiberglass.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

5. Member
    How shallow of water could you fish in something like the 1780 w/ a deep V?

I'm assuming we'll go to LOZ some, but mainly smaller lakes like Mark Twain, Kinkaid, Clearwater and some private lakes. We'll probably hit Bull Shoals and Table Rock some too. I think a deep V would be better on LOZ with all of the traffic, but I bet we won't go there more than once a year if every two years. Just too much traffic for the little ones. I like the 190/210VS for that.

Thanks again for the replies guys.... Keep em coming!

6. Member
    Taking off another forum:

Viper Coral: Cadillac of the F/S, seems everyone who has or had loves them; lots of storage, good quality, etc.; biggest concern is length of Rod storage.
    Triton SF21: very near same opinion level, longer Rod storage? But maybe not as many?
    Champion 21sx: at least as high opinions but seemingly even harder to find.
    Triton 210/220 escape: seems to be the closet comparable new F/S available?
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestTexan View Post
    How shallow of water could you fish in something like the 1780 w/ a deep V?

I'm assuming we'll go to LOZ some, but mainly smaller lakes like Mark Twain, Kinkaid, Clearwater and some private lakes. We'll probably hit Bull Shoals and Table Rock some too. I think a deep V would be better on LOZ with all of the traffic, but I bet we won't go there more than once a year if every two years. Just too much traffic for the little ones. I like the 190/210VS for that.

Thanks again for the replies guys.... Keep em coming!
    I don't see the draft listed anywhere but I don't think it's anything crazy deep. I fish Kinkaid a lot and would love to have an aluminum boat for cutting through the trees fishing.

Here's a video we did back at the Advantage Tour...this was on Bull Shoals where it's never busy. A lot of my neighbors at Table Rock have deep V aluminums and they do great in rough water. I think you'll be impressed for the cost of these deep Vs.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If you don't exceed the weight capacity on the aluminum deep v from Ranger, it will certainly go into 18" of water. I've never needed a bass so badly that I just had to get through 1 foot of water. Not saying it couldn't happen, but even a 2 foot draft will cover 99% of most anglers' situations.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    Welcome to the board!

Since this is the Ranger forum....we are all going to be a bit bias to the brand.....LOL.

I'm not familiar with Fish and Ski models.. so I cant be much assistance with those models. I have a 6 yr old daughter and she is very comfortable with my bass boat. She was riding in them before she could walk. Always keep her life jacket on (mine too while driving) and I keep a very close eye on her while fishing. My wife doesn't fish so her vote for a pontoon was ignored! HA! With 3 growing kids and your wife on board....You're gonna need some room! I would try to get the biggest boat you can within your budget....20 ft., 21 ft., etc.

$25k budget can get you in a early to mid 2000's model Ranger .....just got to look around. Deep V Rangers generally aren't as popular in this area....you see them more up north on bigger bodies of water. There is a Ranger Owners page on Facebook and this time of year, guys are ordering new ones and looking to sell their current model. Also, call around the local dealers and check their websites often. Eberling, VC Marine, Belleville Sports, Cowtown USA are the Ranger dealers I know within 1 hour of STL area. If you're willing to travel further there are dealers near Lake Ozarks, and Warsaw as well as Tablerock areas. I purchased my current Ranger boat from VC Marine in Granite City Ill, not far from STL area. Tony Vesci is a stand up guy and probably has something in inventory to meet your needs/wants/budget. Even has a Viper Cobra for sale for around $15k

http://vcmarine.com/2000-viper-cobra...timax-trailer/
    Last edited by sugelle; 08-15-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    2012 Z521, Yamaha 250 SHO
    SOLD-1998 Ranger 519DVS, Mercury 225 EFI
    Semper Fi