Bryan Thrift running both HB & Lowrance units at both bow and console?

I noticed he has a HB Helix, and Lowrance HDS at the bow, and has both a HB Helix, and Lowrance HDS at the console. Has he ever been asked and explained the advantage of running this setup, and how he operates them?

The FLW pro has a 800 or 900 series Humminbird paired with Lowrance:

I would guess that the Humminbird is wanted for the Lakemaster mapping and/or control of their Minnkota iPilot Link. Maybe the superior Imaging also.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Banned
    When you are Bryan you can do whatever you want. Just saying

4. Scraps
    Two sponsorships!!!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I run both and see no reason not to. Both have their advantages and features the other doesn't.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

6. Member
    Michael Neal only runs lowrance now but I just saw a picture the other day of a pro that had both, can't remember who it was though.

7. Banned
    If you can catch them coming off the lake after practice there are pros that run HB units on the floor. The same thing happened when SI came out. Some of them for mapping and some for much better SI I would guess.

8. Member
    Yeah you see quite a few guys with a Garmin unit up front for panoptics

9. Member
    I run both. Each has advantages. Each has disadvantages. Neither is anywhere close to perfect.

So, what are those disadvantages, and advantages of each?

11. Member
    I use the Lowrance units for sonar, point one antenna and sonichub. The humminbirds are used for side imaging and mapping since the lakemaster mapping on Kentucky is much better than navionics. I havent decided which one I like better for down imaging yet

I purchased the Humminbird to take advantage of the full features and functions of the Ultrex, I-Pilot Link, Lakemaster mapping and 360 Imaging. My biggest complaint with the Helix is that it is a water spot magnet to the point I can't see the 360 images, Lowrance is a clear winner in this area (pun intended). IMO, Lowrance has better Sonar, DI and networking capabilities. Side imaging is not a fair comparison on my set up as I do not have SI on the Helix (installed on my bow).

The above is my opinion based on my specific set up and units. Both are great tools.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    I purchased the Humminbird to take advantage of the full features and functions of the Ultrex, I-Pilot Link, Lakemaster mapping and 360 Imaging. My biggest complaint with the Helix is that it is a water spot magnet to the point I can't see the 360 images, Lowrance is a clear winner in this area (pun intended). IMO, Lowrance has better Sonar, DI and networking capabilities. Side imaging is not a fair comparison on my set up as I do not have SI on the Helix (installed on my bow).

The above is my opinion based on my specific set up and units. Both are great tools.
    If you have an issue with seeing through water spots, you must have the backlighting turned down. The Helix has a brighter display than any Lowrance and you won't see water spots with a normal setting.

I have not cleaned my Helix 12 for about three outings and used 360 all day yesterday and water spots were not visible or affected the 360 view in any manner. Only saw them when I turned the unit off before removing it for the trip home.

Just got the unit out of the garage and took this picture before cleaning it:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Lakemaster is better in some places on my lake Toledo Bend. Navionics is better in some places. Lowrance is way ahead of the game in networking. Bird is ahead in side imaging, and I like the DI better but others feel differently. I run an Ultrex Link so a Bird up front pays off. It's expensive to have both, but like Aristotle said, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
    i should add, Bird customer service is WAY better.

15. Member
    I wish the Helix would export/import GPX like Lowrance and HB Solix.