Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Just something to consider - I had thought about not mounting mine either (a 3-bank MK) to save a few pounds. But, at least once per year we travel to fish, and leave the boat slipped at a dock at the cabin we rent. There is electric on the dock to charge, so that is very convenient. However, I don't know that I'd want to haul the charger out there each and every evening, wire it up, then undo it, haul it back to the cabin, etc. Very time consuming, and lots of walking (shallow water, so the docks are hundreds of feet long). Plus it could easily be several trips if you're taking other stuff with (cooler, maybe you don't leave your net in the boat, electronics that you take off and bring in every night, etc etc).

If you only ever do day trips, and don't have a need for dock-side charging, then sure, don't mount it. In my last boat I didn't have the charger mounted, and it wasn't that big of a deal, but we also didn't overnight anywhere with that boat.
    I do a lot of overnight trips but I'm always at a motel or camping. I don't like leaving my boat in the water even when I have the opportunity to, my dad had his boat cleaned out one time including the 9.9 one night at my uncles cabin up in WI and that just stuck with me. The setup that mikesxpress has looks to be just about perfect. I'm going to find a nice plastic chest with a handle to put it in when I'm on the road and build a nice place to hang it on the garage wall. Honestly the biggest thing for me with not wanting to mount it again is where it has to go. The access for the rigging compartment on my P2 sucks and the charger is way back under there.

2. Member
    Same as will work. Everywhere we camp/motel the boat comes out of the water. Even if the need arises my boat is big enough with enough storage to just drop the charger in and deal with charging on the water. Plus I found out that my boat will fish for 2.5 days without being charged since my charger crapped out on me. This mod may not be for everyone but it's an option.
    Last edited by Idaho Sandman; 08-18-2017 at 11:16 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I do a lot of overnight trips but I'm always at a motel or camping. I don't like leaving my boat in the water even when I have the opportunity to, my dad had his boat cleaned out one time including the 9.9 one night at my uncles cabin up in WI and that just stuck with me. The setup that mikesxpress has looks to be just about perfect. I'm going to find a nice plastic chest with a handle to put it in when I'm on the road and build a nice place to hang it on the garage wall. Honestly the biggest thing for me with not wanting to mount it again is where it has to go. The access for the rigging compartment on my P2 sucks and the charger is way back under there.
    Wow, sorry to hear that. What a pisser.

As for getting cleaned out, they'd have to bring tools and be dedicated - I lock up all the compartments every night, and bring electronics in. A lot of rods & lures come off the boat as well since we are usually musky fishing on those trips, and that stuff takes up a LOT of room.

Yes, it'd piss me off, but it's insured, and I'm not going to live in fear and let that dictate how I live my life, including added inconveniences like you describe. Carrying a charger around, IMO, is silly.

But again - if you never leave it in the water (regardless the reason), then I doubt it would be a problem.

And for the record, if I was gonna steal a 9.9, I'd much rather do it in a parking lot than in the water. So not sure your plan is valid anyway. ;)

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear that. What a pisser.

As for getting cleaned out, they'd have to bring tools and be dedicated - I lock up all the compartments every night, and bring electronics in. A lot of rods & lures come off the boat as well since we are usually musky fishing on those trips, and that stuff takes up a LOT of room.

Yes, it'd piss me off, but it's insured, and I'm not going to live in fear and let that dictate how I live my life, including added inconveniences like you describe. Carrying a charger around, IMO, is silly.

But again - if you never leave it in the water (regardless the reason), then I doubt it would be a problem.

And for the record, if I was gonna steal a 9.9, I'd much rather do it in a parking lot than in the water. So not sure your plan is valid anyway. ;)
    Whoever it was cleaned a bunch of boats out that night along that shore. It's one of those shores where it's like 100 steps up the hill from the dock to the cabin (Whitefish lake on the Three Lakes chain) and they probably just came in with a trolling motor so no one could hear. Luckily it was one of the last days we were up there because they took all of our rods and tackle too. Got my uncles stuff too. The boat was a rental (motor was ours) and we had to row it over to the boat launch so the rental place could pick it up. Long row, the launch wasn't even on the lake its on the slough between the lakes in that chain.

5. Member
    Cleaned out a bunch of boats? That sounds like an organized effort to me. I know how much shit is in my boat, and if anyone were to clean out "a bunch" of boats that have the same amount of shit as mine (not to mention a 9.9), they'd surely be swamped. Lol

Sucks either way.

6. Member
    On that lake pretty much everyone's fishing boat back then was just a 14 to 16' vhull with an outboard. Your rods laid across the seats and you had a plastic tackle box, no compartments.

7. Scraps
    I almost did this with my Phoenix order. Biggest concern I had was, as said above, forgetting the thing. I like the idea of saving the weight and wear and tear towing it around the country. Dealer talked me out of it.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. mikesxpress
    As stated above this may not be for everyone. Being retired I fish 3-4 days a week until deer season. I also travel quite a bit and have no issue with sliding the charger off the wall mount and into the transport box shown in the thread. The boat always stays plugged up so there is no chance of forgetting it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12