Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not mounting onboard charger

Any cons to this (other than maybe forgetting it in the garage? I've got to pull out my Dual Pro to get reprogrammed for Lithiums and I'm thinking about not remounting it. Just put some alligator clips on it. I've got a P2 and the charge location sucks, way back under there. Figured I'd save a little weight too. Thanks.

2. Member
    I bought a used one that was setup with alligator clips and have it mounted to the wall. It saves me a bit of weight in the boat and doesn't take much more time to hook up. I actually prefer it this way. I can also see as soon as I enter the garage if my batteries are charged.

Good idea but I would go with a quality quick connect instead of clips. leave the pig tail on the batteries and just plug in when you get home.

Something like this https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...w=1024&bih=700
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Good idea but I would go with a quality quick connect instead of clips. leave the pig tail on the batteries and just plug in when you get home.

Something like this https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...w=1024&bih=700
    Thanks! Sounds like that is what I'm going to do.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Send a PM mikesxpress. He made his Delta Pro portable. Here's the thread but the pics are missing- http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....082&highlight=
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Send a PM mikesxpress. He made his Delta Pro portable. Here's the thread but the pics are missing- http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....082&highlight=
    Thanks, sent him a PM

7. Member
    My onboard charger died on me. I'm replacing it but I'm not mounting it in the boat. I am instead installing 2pin sae plugs on battery leads as well as on the charger. I am then mounting the charger to a 1"piece of wood then insert it into a plastic tool box. This way power plug and leads are stowed nicely with charger in convenient easy to transport carrier for charging at home or to take with you on overnight stays on the road. Drop the box in the boat, connect leads then power cord. When done charging coil leads nicely in box with charger and put in truck until you need it again.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    My onboard charger died on me. I'm replacing it but I'm not mounting it in the boat. I am instead installing 2pin sae plugs on battery leads as well as on the charger. I am then mounting the charger to a 1"piece of wood then insert it into a plastic tool box. This way power plug and leads are stowed nicely with charger in convenient easy to transport carrier for charging at home or to take with you on overnight stays on the road. Drop the box in the boat, connect leads then power cord. When done charging coil leads nicely in box with charger and put in truck until you need it again.
    This is a cool idea! Thanks for the info.

9. mikesxpress
    Sorry about that guys.

Photobucket ransom killed all my pic's for all of my tech tips and enhancement threads. It will take me quite awhile to revamp them and get new pictures in. After numerous PM's for this one I went back an added the pic's plus my transport box for road trips. The charger has been wall mounted for awhile now and made 3 road trips. I would never mount another charger in a boat again unless it was a slip boat. Without it getting beat up, bounced down the HWY, and it now has plenty of air circulating around it keeping the heat down, this thing should last allot longer that being in the service well. And it doesn't get to fish with me anymore!!!!!

Here is the link again:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....082&highlight=

10. mikesxpress
    Exposed/open plugs as you indicate for connections inside the service well area where battery and fuel cells reside contras NMMA/UL and USCG rules for electrical connections.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Exposed/open plugs as you indicate for connections inside the service well area where battery and fuel cells reside contras NMMA/UL and USCG rules for electrical connections.
    Mike, thanks for the pics. Do you have a part number for the male/female plug? My original thought was to use Minn Kota MKR12 quick connector plugs but your point about open connections is well taken. I suppose I could still use those and find a cover but I'd be looking at ~$60 just for the connectors for 3 batteries.

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Mike, thanks for the pics. Do you have a part number for the male/female plug? My original thought was to use Minn Kota MKR12 quick connector plugs but your point about open connections is well taken. I suppose I could still use those and find a cover but I'd be looking at ~$60 just for the connectors for 3 batteries.
    Just do it the correct way and save yourself some grief.
    On the 2nd page of the linked thread is the place to order the cable & plug.

13. Member
    Just talked to John, he's actually doing a 3 bank for someone right now which is what I need. I'm going to run over there on Monday to see it and probably order one. It's only 25 minutes from my work.

14. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Just talked to John, he's actually doing a 3 bank for someone right now which is what I need. I'm going to run over there on Monday to see it and probably order one. It's only 25 minutes from my work.

Excellent!

15. Member
    Nope, all leads are long enough that connections are made out of the battery storage area as well as the charger box. I'll take a pic and post it when completed.

16. mikesxpress
    Nope, all leads are long enough that connections are made out of the battery storage area as well as the charger box. I'll take a pic and post it when completed.
    That will work but you will have multiple connections to deal with each time. The single multi-pin plug eliminates that and makes the hook up allot easier.

17. Member
    Just don't forget your charger when you go out of town!
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

18. Member
    That will work but you will have multiple connections to deal with each time. The single multi-pin plug eliminates that and makes the hook up allot easier.
    Agreed but couldn't find a single multi pin I liked. It's only three connections, take a whole 3sec. Not a big deal in my mind.

19. Member
    Just something to consider - I had thought about not mounting mine either (a 3-bank MK) to save a few pounds. But, at least once per year we travel to fish, and leave the boat slipped at a dock at the cabin we rent. There is electric on the dock to charge, so that is very convenient. However, I don't know that I'd want to haul the charger out there each and every evening, wire it up, then undo it, haul it back to the cabin, etc. Very time consuming, and lots of walking (shallow water, so the docks are hundreds of feet long). Plus it could easily be several trips if you're taking other stuff with (cooler, maybe you don't leave your net in the boat, electronics that you take off and bring in every night, etc etc).

If you only ever do day trips, and don't have a need for dock-side charging, then sure, don't mount it. In my last boat I didn't have the charger mounted, and it wasn't that big of a deal, but we also didn't overnight anywhere with that boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast